Preparations for the Olympic opening ceremony read like a script for a Hollywood blockbuster – a top director playing with a £27 million pound budget for a production that will dazzle a global audience of over a billion people. And the VIPs gifted the best seats in the house for Friday evening's extravaganza only add to the star quality.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will watch Danny Boyle's highly-anticipated 'Isles of Wonder' show unfold alongide A-listers like Angelina Jolie.
His concept was inspired by Shakespeare's The Tempest, and although insiders are sworn to secrecy, stunned spectators drafted in for the rehearsals emerged with one unanimous review: "Amazing".
They also praised the show's "magnificently bonkers" humour. Artistic director Danny – best known for the Oscar-winning film Slumdog Millionaire – has promised a truly British show that will be about a land recovering from its industrial legacy. "We'll be celebrating the whole of the country... there are so many Isles of Wonder," he said.
The Daily Telegraph reports that the other great hallmark of British life – Saturday night on the town – will be portrayed with a soundtrack of home-grown talent that spans hits from the Sixties to the current day. Amidst such high secrecy, what is common knowledge is that the Olympic Stadium in Stratford has been transformed into an idyllic countryside setting – perhaps to represent the central 'Isle of Wonder' theme.
The world is now on the edge of its seat to see what lies in store for those lush landscapes. At precisely, 8.12pm – the digital version 20:12 matches the year in which the Games is taking place – the warm up act will get underway. Then, at 9.00 pm Danny's 20,000-cast of performers, NHS nurses and local school children will be summoned to thrill the Kate, William and the world.
The Duchess of Cambridge's Olympic Schedule
- Friday 27th July Opening Ceremony
- Monday 30th July Equestrian competition in Greenwich, 12:30 pm
- Tuesday 31st July Equestrian events including the awarding of medals in Greenwich, visit to Athlete's village
- Thursday 2nd August Tennis at the Royal box at Wimbledon, 11:30 am
- Friday 3rd August Swimming at the Olympic Park 9:25 am with The Duke of Cambridge
- Saturday 4th August Field hockey 13:35 pm
- Sunday 5th August Gymnastics at the Olympic Park 13:55 pm Visit to Team GB House with Prince Harry
- Monday 6th August Sailing at Weymouth
- Thursday 9th August Synchronized swimming at the Olympic Park
- Friday 10th August Women's field hockey session
- Saturday 11th August Diving at the Olympic Park, men's 10m 20:25 pm
- Sunday 12th August Closing ceremony with Prince Harry