One of my favourite festivals must be Coachella. This year was my 5th and the one thing I love about it is little changes apart from the acts and the length of the dresses. There are seven stages offering all types of music from Deep House, Rap, Pop and Indie. There is really something for everyone.
Some of the highlights this year were Lady Gaga who headlined on Saturday night with a high energy performance giving even Madonna a run for her money. She strutted back and forth on stage in barely there skin tight black body suits, very tame for Gaga and not a meat suit in sight. She looked and sounded amazing singing all of her hits. Father John Misty was whimsical, his sounds enchanted the audience.
Marissa Montgomery at Coachella Festival with her brother Max
Artistic veteran Steve Angelo played the Sahara tent. His set was more like an art piece broken down into three acts. Playing all new music culminating in him on stage with around 50 drummers in masks which was super powerful visually as well as acoustically. Martin Garrix played the same tent the next night. Breaking the record for most attendees with people spilling out into the desert field. Showing us why he's the number one DJ at this moment.
Hearing Bon Iver sing Skinny Love was definitely a high for me; he also brought out Bruce Hornsby on stage which people went wild for. Future, Nicolas Jaar and The XX all killed it. Sadly I only did two days of Coachella and left before Sunday where Kendall Jenner had flown in to watch Kendrick Lamar. I would have loved to stay and see Lorde, Justice, Hans Zimmer, Tove Lo etc. but sadly it was a quick trip for me.
Marissa with her friend Yael Cohen Braun
It's so much more than a music festival with amazing food stands offering Acai Bowls, Matcha Tea, organic Agave margaritas and sushi. It's a culinary delight and has more gourmet food trucks than you could dream of.
Coachella's a fashion show as much as a festival. Girls spend weeks prepping their looks. It's become one of the most Instagrammed events of the year. Brands like Revolve and Victoria's Secret have all jumped on the band wagon here doing events and dressing for weekend one.
A festival-goer wears cat ears at Coachella
This season thankfully we saw a departure from the cliché flower crown and saw it replaced with some cute cat ears. People wanted to look like they had tried less hard; some of my favourite looks were the most understated - body suits and ripped denim shorts. Grunge made a debut this year seeing a lot of fishnets under denim shorts and Doc Martin style boots. People were opting for comfort in shoes going with a basic sneaker which I loved. It's over 90 degrees and you have to do so much walking no matter how VIP your pass.
My top 5 tips to surviving Coachella
- Comfortable shoes – preferably ones you've worn a bunch of times before .The heat does mad things to your body your feet swell. Skin becomes more irritated.
- Sun cream is a must. It is soo hot I like a light all over spray of 50 on my body then I use Bare Minerals 'Complexion Rescue', it's a tinted hydrating gel cream that lasts all day give a coverage on the skin and 30SPF, so no make-up is needed. bareminerals.com
- A backpack is a must. You really want both hands free to show your dance moves and a bag can be restrictive. I have a mini pack that fits all my essentials in. I love this one castellanoethnicorigins.com/collections/backpacks-wayuu-1
- Hydrate – during the day you need to drink crazy amounts of water as the heat in the desert is super deceptive and it's so dry you don't sweat. Also take a really good lip balm and face cream with you. I swear by Blinks Rose water gel to sooth red and dry skin blinkbrowbar.com/products/a-fresh-start/pure-rose-water-gel. I also use these face mask sheets to revive 111skin.com/products/bio-cellulose-facial-treatment-mask-pack-of-5
- Dust or bust – sand storms happen so take a bandana with you to wrap around your face like a bandit, which means you inhale less of the desert sand. Sunglasses are also essential for sand storms, sunshine and just generally completing your outfit. Louis Vuitton are my favourite here I am wearing them. eu.louisvuitton.com/eng-e1/products/the-party-nvprod160056v
See our latest travel features here.