Known for his big heart and staggering talent, Robin Williams touched almost everyone he met, no matter how long he spent in their presence. After the star's tragic passing, Twitter was flooded with messages from Hollywood stars and VIPs who shared memories of meeting him, or who were simply feeling the loss of one of Tinseltown's most prolific actors.
Among the moving messages for the comedic genius were words of remembrance from American president Barack Obama.
"Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit," said the president in a statement.
CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR FULL GALLERY
Robin Williams was found dead at his home on Monday
"He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most - from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin's family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams."
The president wasn't the only one to be so touched by the tragic death of Robin, who was found dead at his California home after a suspected suicide follwing a battle with depression.
The late Robin Williams with his wife Susan
Sally Field, who starred alongside the 63-year-old actor in Mrs Doubtfire, addressed the sad news in a statement: "I feel stunned and so sad about Robin. I'm sad for the world of comedy. And so very sad for his family. And I'm sad for Robin.
"He always lit up when he was able to make people laugh, and he made them laugh his whole life long.... tirelessly. He was one of a kind. There will not be another. Please God, let him now rest in peace."
Robin Williams in character as Mrs Doubtfire
Mara Wilson, who also starred alongside the actor in hit movie Mrs Doubtfire, was among the first to pay their respects.
The actress, who is now 27, tweeted: "Very sad, very upset, very glad I did not have to hear about this though Twitter. Probably going to be taking some time off it for a while."
Ben Stiller, who had the pleasure of working alongside Robin in Night At The Museum, shared his condolences, saying: "A tweet cannot begin to describe the hugeness of Robin Williams heart and soul and talent. This is so sad." He continued: "OK, I’ll try. I met him when I was 13 and a huge fan and he was so kind and I watched him be kind to every fan I ever saw him with.
"And with other actors he was so generous and brilliant. He made everyone feel special and equal around him even though he was the genius... His heart was so big and even if you didn't know him, what he gave everyone was that same spirit in his work, so we all felt it.
"His impact on the world was so positive. He did so much good for people. He made me and so many people laugh so hard for a very long time."
Robin's co-star in the recently cancelled show The Crazy Ones, Sarah Michelle Gellar, had no words, opting instead to share a collage of images of the pair together.
pic.twitter.com/4Pyx4Kfuxe — Sarah Michelle (@RealSMG) August 12, 2014
Celebrities pay tribute on Twitter
- Kevin Spacey: "Robin Williams made the world laugh & think. I will remember & honor that. A great man, artist and friend. I will miss him beyond measure."
- Lea Michele: "So heartbreaking to hear the terribly sad news about the amazing Robin Williams, thank you for bringing so much laughter and joy to us all."
- Ben Stiller: "A tweet cannot begin to describe the hugeness of Robin Williams heart and soul and talent. This is so sad. #RobinWilliams".
- Fearne Cotton: "Thanks Robin Williams for all the laughter. Eternal timeless comedy magic RIP".
- Sarah Jessica Parker: "Robin Williams, an original. Godspeed. X, sj".
- Lena Dunham: "Just shared a moment of silence on the set for Robin Williams, a man who brought so much laughter, joy and healing to so many."
- Ariana Grande: "#RIPRobinWilliams so heartbreaking.... thank u for the joy & laughter.... condolences, love and light to his family during this tragic time ".
- Rita Wilson: "I am heartbroken. Dear, sweet friend, Robin Williams, gone. Our prayers for peace to all his friends and family, his beautiful children."
- Ellen DeGeneres: "I can’t believe the news about Robin Williams. He gave so much to so many people. I’m heartbroken."
- Rochelle Humes: "Thanks for sharing your talent with the world RIP Robin Williams".
- Jessica Ennis-Hill: "Such sad news about Robin Williams. What a brilliant actor, so many great films from my childhood #mrsdoubtfire #Aladdin".
- Nick Lachey: "So sad to hear about @robinwilliams passing. I feel like I grew up on his humor.....he brought so much laughter to so many! #RIP".
- Naya Rivera Dorsey: "We lost a great light. Rest peacefully Robin Williams."
- Hailee Steinfield: "I am so so sad. RIP Robin Williams. :( "
- Ant & Dec: "Robin Williams RIP. X My childhood was made very happy because of him. Thoughts and love to his family. So so sad. A".
- Alyssa Milano: "Robin Williams! Your work! Your heart! Your brain! So much left for you to do. So much more to love you for! Heartbroken. Rest in peace."
- Taylor Swift: "Heartbroken for Robin Williams and his family."
- Fran Newman-Young: "'No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world' #RIPRobinWilliams"
- Olivia Munn: "So unbelievably sad to hear about Robin Williams passing. He gave so much to the world. I hope he's in peace now. RIP".
- Mindy Kaling: "I am named after a character from a Robin Williams TV show when my parents still lived in Africa. He meant so much, to so many, so far away."