Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Charlie Webster brought out of induced coma and is communicating with her family

Share this:

Charlie Webster has been brought out of an induced coma after contracting a rare strain of malaria, but is still in intensive care. The TV presenter has been recovering in a hospital in Rio and her mother Joy described her daughter's hospital stay as "the worst time imaginable."

Speaking about her daughter's recovery, Joy, said: "Charlotte knows she nearly died, she mouthed to me earlier 'look at all the machines keeping me alive.' Charlotte is really strong but as the doctors keep reminding me, everyone heals differently. I am just so thankful that she's able to communicate with us again.


charlie3© Photo: Instagram

Charlie was taken ill following a 3,000 mile bike ride for charity

"It's been the worst imaginable time – we have been beside ourselves with worry, but the fact Charlotte is now conscious is amazing. Knowing Charlotte, the thing she'll be most annoyed about is that she's missed the Olympics. She will be especially gutted not to have seen Nicola Adams fight…there's a TV on the wall, so hopefully she can at least watch the women's boxing final."

charlie webster

Charlie's team have been keeping followers updated  

Doctors treating the 33-year-old are reportedly "very happy with Charlie's neurological results" after bringing her out of the coma, and a spokesperson for the family said: "Charlie's family and friends have been incredibly touched by the overwhelming support and love shown to Charlie today.

"Their main focus now is for Charlie to be stable enough to fly back to the UK."

charlie webster© Photo: Instagram

Charlie's mother says Charlie is "now conscious"

Charlie fell ill after cycling 3,000 miles to the Games while raising money for the Jane Tomlinson Foundation, and had been sharing photos of her hospital stay with concerned fans before her condition worsened.

charlie webster wakes1

The news of her hospitalisation was revealed earlier this week

She took to Twitter back on 6 August to reveal that she had been admitted to hospital, writing: "6 weeks on the road ends in this. Very rough day, severe dehydration & infection – 2 drips & antibiotics Rio." She followed with an update on 8 August, writing: "I'm getting there… awful few days with serious infection Rio," before she was placed in an induced coma and on dialysis after suffering from kidney failure.