Nourish your body and energise your mind with this simple superfood recipe from Julie Montagu's new book Superfoods Superfast. Find more of Julie's recipes in HELLO! out now.
"Creating delicious variations on the traditional side salad is something I love to do," Julie explains. "This recipe requires minimal preparation and can be put together in the 10 minutes before you serve your main meal. Kale is an ingredient that I tend to use a lot because of its amazing nutritional value. Adding lime juice to the salad dressing helps bring out the flavour of te other ingredients."
Serves: two people
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
2 corn on the cobs
1tsp smoked paprika
1tsp ground cumin
250g/9oz kale, shredded
1tsp sea salt
1 avocado, peeled, stone removed and flesh cut into small chunks
For the dressing
Handful fresh coriander, torn
Good squeeze of runny honey
Juice of 1 lime
1. Stand the corn upright and, using a sharp knife, make long downward strokes to separate the kernels from the cobs.
2. In a dry frying pan, cook the corn kernels with the paprika and cumin for 10 minutes or until the corn starts to blacken. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl massage the kale with the sea salt for 10 minutes or until the kale becomes soft.
4. Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a bowl.
5. Add the burnt corn and avocado to the bowl containing the kale, drizzle with the dressing, toss well and serve.