It's time to get creative with the great British banger. Find more sizzling sausage recipe ideas in HELLO! out now.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Olive oil, for frying
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
8 pork sausages
200ml/7fl oz chicken stock
1/4 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
250g/9 oz courgette (courgette spaghetti made using a spiralizer or serrated vegetable peeler)
250g/9 oz butternut squash noodles (method as for the courgette)
100g/4 oz fat-free crème fraiche
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 small lemon
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
Small handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Once the onions are soft and translucent, remove from the heat and transfer to a plate.
2. While the onion is cooking, take the sausages and remove the skins. To do this easily, gently slit each sausage lengthways with a sharp knife and peel the skin off. Divide each sausage into 3 and roll each piece into a ball. Add 1 tsp of oil to the pan, heat to a medium heat, add the meatballs and cook until medium brown.
3. Add the onion, stock and chilli flakes, if using, and heat until the meatballs are cooked through and the stock has reduced by half.
4. Add the courgette and butternut squash to the meatballs and gently mix in, being careful not to break up the vegetables.
5. In a large bowl, mix the crème fraiche, lemon zest and juice together then add the sausage mixture and toss gently to coat it with the lemony crème fraiche. Season with black pepper and garnish with the grated Parmesan and chopped parsley.