Vegans and meat-eaters alike will love this delicious moussaka dish, courtesy of The Real Greek. This Greek classic is made with cinnamon, courgette, potato, courgette and jackfruit, and is a nutritious and satisfying main meal.
INGREDIENTS FOR MOUSSAKA FILLING:
- 1 tin jackfruit (drained)
- 500g Spanish onion (chopped)
- 20g garlic paste
- 400g tin tomato (chopped)
- 50g tomato purée
- 5g sugar
- 4g salt
- 8g black pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
- 100ml olive oil
- 5g oregano
- 30g parsley
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan and gently fry the onions and garlic. Once the onions start to sweat, stir in the jackfruit.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato purée and sugar to the saucepan once the onions are softened. Follow with the seasonings: salt, pepper, bay leaf and oregano - stirring gently until well combined.
- Allow the ingredients to infuse over a gentle simmer for 15 minutes on a medium heat.
- Once finished, add chopped parsley to taste and set aside ready to ensemble the moussaka. If not using straight away, the mixture can be chilled and stored in fridge for up to 3 days.
INGREDIENTS FOR MOUSSAKA BASE:
- 540g potatoes peeled (18 slices 3 per portion)
- 260g aubergine (7mm slices 1 per portion)
- 360g courgette (4mm slices 3 per portion)
- 15ml olive oil 2g herbs (chopped parsley and dill)
- 780g moussaka filling
- 2g salt
- 2g pepper
- Prepare your potatoes by peeling and slicing into even slices, approximately 4mm.
- In a wide-set pan or fryer, add oil and allow to heat to 170 degrees. Once hot, carefully place potatoes in oil for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Once soft to the touch, the potatoes will be ready.
- Slice the aubergine, slightly thicker than the potatoes, and the courgettes. Marinate both in salt, pepper and olive oil placing under the grill until lightly charred and soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the required amount of moussaka filling in a small saucepan on a medium heat.
- In a large casserole dish, start to build your moussaka. Start with the potatoes as the base, follow with the moussaka filling then layer the courgettes and finally aubergine.
- Drizzle with olive oil, a sprinkle of parsley and a pinch of dill to finish.