There was uproar across the nation when it was revealed that The Great British Bake Off will be moving to Channel 4, and that its stars Mary Berry, Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc were also jumping ship. Nevertheless, Mary has predicted that the new show will still be a success with Paul Hollywood at its helm.
"It's going to be different, but I am sure Paul will carry it on successfully," Mary, 81, said while attending the National Reality TV Awards on Thursday evening.
Mary Berry has said she thinks Great British Bake Off will carry on "successfully"
She then told the Sun: "The Great British Bake Off is going to Channel 4 and I'm sure it will be very successful with Paul. Wait and see.
"Mel and Sue are brilliant and we had a marvellous time on the programme and that's how it will remain… It's a family programme. Mum, gran, everyone enjoys it and they all get down to baking afterwards. I'm proud of everyone. It gets 14million (viewers) – more than the football!"
Mary confirmed that she was leaving GBBO earlier this month, and said she was doing so out of loyalty to the BBC. In a statement, the baking queen said it had been a "privilege and honour" to be part of "seven years of magic in a tent".
Mary and hosts Mel and Sue have all chosen to step down from the show
"My decision to stay with the BBC is out of loyalty to them, as they have nurtured me, and the show, that was a unique and brilliant format from day one," she said. "I am just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change, I hope they understand my decision."
Mary's announcement came after hosts Mel and Sue confirmed they were both stepping down from the show, instead of "going with the dough".
"The BBC nurtured the show from its infancy and helped give it its distinctive warmth and charm, growing it from an audience of two million to nearly 15 at its peak," they said.
Paul Hollywood will continue as a judge when GBBO moves to Channel 4
"We've had the most amazing time on Bake Off, and have loved seeing it rise and rise like a pair of yeasted Latvian baps. We're not going with the dough. We wish all the future bakers every success."
Paul, meanwhile, will continue as a judge on GBBO when it moves to Channel 4 next year. In a statement, the star said he was "delighted" to be staying on the baking competition, adding, "It's been a huge part of my life in the past few years and I just couldn't turn my back on all that."