Most of us are familiar with the 5:2 diet, based on the concept of eating normally for five days and then fasting for two, as an effective way to keep weight in check. However, dermatologists have revealed that the same approach to our make-up could be good for our complexion.
CLICK ON THE IMAGES BELOW FOR THE FULL GALLERY
Dermatologists have said going make-up free twice a week can lead to healthier skin
A recent survey by Escentual.com showed that two-thirds of British women wear make-up seven days a week even just to carry out everyday tasks such as popping to the shops, but dermatologists have revealed that going completely make-up free for two days a week could result in healthier looking skin in under a month.
Scroll below for tips on how to perfect the 5:2 for your skin
Over 71 per cent of women who wore make-up every day admitted that they suffered from frequent breakouts, but that they would rather use products to cover the blemishes rather than allowing their skin to breathe.
On make-up free days try detoxing your skin with a face mask
"Overuse of make-up without appropriate breaks can accelerate the ageing process," explains skincare expert Dr Esho, who adds that this 'can leave the skin dull with fine lines and wrinkles'.
"Ensuring to cleanse and moisturise your skin daily, wearing no make-up at night and taking make-up free skin breaks once or twice a week will dramatically improve your skin health and appearance in just a few weeks."
Over half the women in the survey said they had noticed an improvement in their skin when they had gone a few days without make-up in the past, saying their complexion had become clearer. "Most of us feel better when we're wearing a bit of make-up," said Emma Leslie. "But we sometimes forget it exists to enhance features – not to mask them."
Over two-thirds of British women wear make-up every day according to a new survey
How to take the 5:2 approach:
1. Cleanse, tone and moisturise every night. Avoid make-up wipes but if you must use them, take the time to cleanse your skin the next morning.
2. Use your make-up free 'fast days' as opportunities to detox the skin. Apply a clarifying clay mask like REN Clarimatte Invisible Pores Detox Mask and steam your face in hot water to open pores and draw out impurities.
3. Eradicate the need for concealer under the eyes by using a corrective eye serum to reduce the appearance of dark circles.
4. Use a skin-illuminating moisturiser like the Givenchy Hydra Sparkling Velvet Luminescence and a slick of Vaseline on the eyebrows and lips for a natural glow.
5. If you don't feel comfortable going coverage free, opt for a BB cream to simultaneously disguise and reduce redness and irritation in the skin.