Want some ideas on how to look chic on the sand? There's no better inspiration than the ultimate beach babe, Brigitte Bardot.
Ever wondered why your beach look is sweaty and sandy, accessorised with frizzy and flyaway hair, yet celebrities manage to look effortlessly stylish when photographed shoreside? It's all down to the sticky factor. Products need to protect your skin and hair without leaving you feeling slick and more than a bit icky. The latest formulations will help you embrace your inner Brigitte Bardot without compromising on protection - from dry oils and light-as-air sprays to brush-on block powders.
1. Illesteva Boca cat's-eye acetate sunglasses, £175, from net-a-porter.com. Perfect 1950s-inspired style.
2. Heliocare Oil-free compact SPF50, £19.50, from effortlessskin.com. A super-high SPF tinted compact.
3. Estée Lauder Bronze Goddess Eau Fraiche Skinscent, £50; visit esteelauder.co.uk. Okay, technically you shouldn't wear scent on the beach, but this just smells too good. Why not spray it on your sun hat and beach bag so you can enjoy it every day of your holiday?
4. Susan Posnick Brush on Block SPF30, £22.50, from effortlessskin.com. This clear brush-on mattifying formula works brilliantly and gives a soft-sheen finish.
5. PhytoPlage Voile Protecteur, £15, from feelunique.com. This hair protecting oil now comes in a limited-edition print bottle inspired by Mlle Bardot's gingham wedding dress.
6. bareMinerals SPF30 Natural Sunscreen, £23; visit bareminerals.co.uk. Choose from three shades of the perfect demi-matt glow powder.
7. La Roche-Posay Eau Thermale, £4, from Boots. The ideal cooling face and body spray - scent and alcohol free, it works on sun-parched and sensitive skin.
8. Clarins UV Plus Multi-Protection SPF50, £32; visit clarins.co.uk. One of our favourite lightweight sun milks.