The Queen and Prince Charles make personal donations to Nepal appeal

hellomagazine.com

On Monday, the Queen lead tributes to those lives lost during the earthquake which struck Nepal on Saturday and Sunday. Now, the 89-year-old monarch has donated personal money to the Disasters Emergency Committee's appeal to help the victims of the devastating natural disaster.

Along with Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Queen donated an undisclosed sum which will be used to help support the work of the DEC's 13-member organisations.


The Queen, Charles, and Camilla have all donated undisclosed sums to help those affected in Nepal


The Queen has a close association with Nepal: it is home to The Royal Gurkha Rifles, troops who fight for the UK but are not born in the country. Charles is their Colonel in Chief, and at the start of investiture ceremonies the Queen enters the room alongside two Gurkha orderly officers, a tradition which began in 1876 by Queen Victoria.

The Queen last visited Nepal in 1961 during an official tour, and addressed Monday's message of support to the country's president Ram Baran Yadav, releasing it as a statement by Buckingham Palace.

It said that Her Majesty was "shocked to hear of the appalling loss of life and injuries" and that "her thoughts and prayers are with the victims".


Charles meeting Gurkha troops in 2008


Nepalese officials said as of Tuesday evening that the death toll "could rise to 10,000" and between 17 and 22 people had been killed in avalanches on Mount Everest, which happened as a result of the 7.8 magnitude earthquake.

The UK has donated a total of £5million to help those affected, with Prime Minister David Cameron tweeting on Sunday: "UK search and rescue team plus medics flying tonight to #Nepal to assist following #NepalEarthquake. RAF aircraft will fly reinforcements and more supplies tomorrow. #Nepal."

To find out how you can help support the Disasters Emergency Committee, visit dec.org.uk for details.

More on: