Crown Prince Haakon has responded to public criticism of a recent holiday that saw the prince and his wife, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, enjoy time aboard the superyacht Mia-Elise, which costs two million Norwegian Krone, or approximately £158,000, a week to rent.
Speaking while out for his 11-year-old daughter Princess Ingrid Alexandra's scout trip on Tuesday, the Norwegian prince defended his actions and said he wouldn't have done anything differently.
"I have seen, that there has been a lot of interest around it. For us it was an invitation from a friend of ours. We were visiting for a few days. There has been much speculation about this. It's as simple as that," said Prince Haakon, who didn't want to elaborate on who that friend was, writes Norwegian news broadcaster NRK.
"I do not think he has any special interests in Norway at all," he added.
The luxurious holiday generated a great deal of debate in Norway due to the yacht's huge fuel consumption, which some believe is contradictory with the couple's focus on environmental issues. Their failure to reveal who paid for the trip was also met with unease.
Prince Haakon, who celebrated his 14th wedding anniversary with Mette-Marit on 25 August, explained that they had been on the yacht for three days, and that he didn't see how the couple's yacht trip and broad circle of friends meant that they couldn't work with important issues.
"To us it seems fine. Unless one believes that it’s wrong being on a boat. I think it was okay. It was nice to meet our friend," he said.
His wife, who attended a reading event in Oslo for schoolchildren, didn't wish to comment on the couple's holiday more than: "We were visiting. It wasn't more dramatic than that," according to NRK.