Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Princess Mary of Denmark stuns at New Year’s Eve celebrations

Share this:

Princess Mary of Denmark looked beautiful as she attended the Danish palace’s annual New Year’s Eve banquet. The royal beamed broadly as she arrived at the event alongside Crown Prince Frederik.Arm-in-arm with her husband of 11 years, the princess looked elegant wearing a dark blue floor-length velvet gown adorned with delicate sequins, as she arrived at the Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen. Accessorising her outfit the 43-year-old wore a diamond and ruby encrusted tiara, matching earrings, two brooches and a large Knight of the Order of the Elephant necklace.

princess mary © Photo: Rex

Crown Prince Frederik and Princess Mary attended the annual New Year's Eve banquet at the palace

Crown Prince Frederik also looked very smart wearing his Danish military uniform with his ceremonial sabre. As the couple arrived at the annual event, they were greeted by well-wishers that had waited patiently outside the palace to get a glimpse of the royal pair.Also in attendance at the evening, hosted by Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik, was Frederik’s younger brother Prince Joachim, who similarly chose to wear a traditional military suit.

margrethe © Photo: Rex

The evening was hosted by Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik

This was the first royal engagement that the couple have attended since returning from Australia, where they spent Christmas. For the first time in five years, the enitre family returned to Mary’s homeland to visit the princess’ family and friends.Despite having a wonderful Christmas down under, the trip wasn’t all relaxing, as the couple’s eldest child, Prince Christian, was caught in a scary situation out at sea. During a day trip to Mermaid Beach on the Gold Coast, the young prince got caught in a rip current and was quickly dragged away from the beach. Luckily a lifeguard spotted the young royal in danger and rescued him before he was pulled out any further.Speaking to Australian TV channel Seven News about the incident, lifeguard supervisor Stuart Keay said: "We got to him before it got too serious, but he wouldn’t have been able to get back in."

More Royalty

See more