The Royal Windsor Horse Show had to be cancelled on Wednesday for the first time in its 66 year history. Hundreds of people were turned away from the popular equestrian event after torrential rain led to severe flooding of the area.
Around 10,000 people, including the Queen, were expected to attend the show's opening day, but waterlogged fields which would have been used as car parks were deemed unsuitable.
The Queen had been expected to attend Wednesday's opening show
Marketing manager Jo Peck said that Wednesday's cancellation was "disappointing" but said it is hoped that the remaining four days will go ahead as planned.
"We are doing the right thing because if we can keep (Wednesday) clear we will have a show for the next four days," she told the BBC.
The Queen is a long-time supporter of the Royal Windsor Horse Show. The monarch, who still regularly rides herself, attended last year's event and saw one of her own horses compete.
In celebration of the Queen's 90th birthday, a parade of 900 horses and 1500 participants in the grounds of Windsor Castle will still go ahead as planned on Thursday.
The monarch is a longtime supporter of the popular equestrian event
The major event, which is running from 12-15 May, will tell the story of the Queen's life from her birth in 1926 to her coronation and reign spanning more than 60 years.
A member of the royal family will attend each evening of the pageant, and the Queen will be the guest of honour on the final evening, which will be broadcast live on ITV on Sunday. The finale will be hosted by Ant and Dec, with an impressive line-up of stars including Katherine Jenkins, Kylie Minogue and Jess Glynne.
Tickets for the pageant went on sale in November, and all 25,000 seats for the four-night event sold out within hours.