Man arrested in grounds of Buckingham Palace is convicted murderer

hellomagazine.com

The man who was arrested in the grounds of Buckingham Palace on Wednesday evening is a convicted murderer, it has emerged. Dennis Hennessy of Wembley, London, was jailed for four months during an appearance at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Friday morning.

The 41-year-old pleaded guilty to one count of trespass on a protected site and one count of criminal damage during the court hearing.

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

Dennis Hennessy was caught trespassing in the grounds of Buckingham Palace

The court was told that Dennis had been on licence after being convicted for the murder of a homeless man in 1992. He had scaled the wall of Buckingham Palace – which is between 8ft to 10ft high – on Wednesday, activating the security alarm in the process.

He was not armed and reportedly told police he had "walked through the gardens admiring the view".

Prince Philip were in residence at the time, and were informed of the incident on Thursday morning.

><img alt=VIEW GALLERY

The Queen and Prince Philip were in residence at the time

Commander Adrian Usher, head of the Met's royalty and specialist protection, said: "I am content that our security measures worked effectively on this occasion and at no time was any individual at risk."

A palace spokesman, meanwhile, added: "We never comment on security, which is a matter for the police."

Scotland Yard are responsible for the security of the palace, and armed officers are ever present, regardless of whether or not members of the Royal family are in the building. They are backed up by widespread CCTV cameras.

In 2013, a major security review was put in place after a trespasser scaled the wall and made it into one of the State Rooms.

The most famous breach took place in 1982 when Michael Fagan broke into the Queen's bedroom. She left the room immediately, seeking security, and he was arrested shortly afterwards.

More on: