Sam Mendes won't direct next Bond film

Thursday March 7, 2013

Sam Mendes has turned down the chance to direct the next Bond film so he can give "complete focus" to his work in the theatre.

The Oscar winner, who received a lot of praise for his work directing Daniel Craig as 007 in Skyfall, said it had been "a very difficult decision" not to direct the next film.

He told Empire magazine: "Directing Skyfall was one of the best experiences of my professional life, but I have theatre and other commitments, including productions of Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and King Lear, that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond."

King Lear will see Mendes work at the National Theatre, while his stage musical version of the Roald Dahl story will take him back to the West End.

Skyfall was a critical and commercial success, picking up five Oscar nominations and winning two, including Adele's gong for Original Song.

  • <
  • Sam Mendes won't direct next Bond film

  • >
  • 3 of 3




Most Read Stories

Follow us on



Featured content

Red Carpet

All the latest news and pictures from the red carpet

Jennifer Lawrence

The latest news and pictures of the hot young Hollywood actress and star of Silver Linings Playbook




Suggestions