Print Comment

Charlie Sheen makes rooftop appearance as producers explain decision to fire him

08 MARCH 2011

Two months ago Charlie Sheen was the highest paid actor on TV, employed on the most popular series on the CBS network.

But on Monday all that came to an end when, "after careful consideration", Warner Bros Television made the decision to fire the troubled star from Two and a Half Men.

Given Charlie's recent erratic behaviour, his sacking was seen by many as the inevitable next step for the studio. It has, however, left the future of the sitcom in serious doubt – a source close to the show has said no decision has been made whether to continue with a new lead or cancel it all together.


null

Click on photos for gallery


But in an unusual personal appeal, the producers of the show have justified their actions in a damning 11-page letter written to the actor's lawyer.

The document – first obtained by TMZ and subsequently verified by People - begins: "At the outset, let us state the obvious. Your client has been engaged in dangerously self-destructive behaviour and appears to be very ill."

It goes on to urge those close to the star to "focus your energies on what no-one so far has been able to do: get your client the sustained, rigorous and effective treatment he so urgently needs."

"It is clear that (Sheen) has no intention of agreeing to the intensive evaluation and treatment that his condition requires," writes Warner Bros Television counsel John Spiegel. "It is also clear he does not believe he has a problem and that he will continue to conduct himself in a destructive manner."

The letter also lists the producers' attempts to help the 45-year-old - visiting his home, giving him time off and offering him a private plane to take him to rehab.


null


"Regrettably, Mr Sheen failed to continue with his rehabilitation program. The result has been a series of well-chronicled and increasingly erratic outburst that have culminated with Mr Sheen's public tirades of the last few weeks," it states.

Unsurprisingly, Charlie has remained defiant in light of his sacking. Calling his termination "very good news", he said in a statement: "They (Warner Bros.) continue to be in breach, like so many whales.

"It’s a big day of gladness at the Sober Valley Lodge because now I can take all of the bazillions, never have to look at (expletive) again, and I never have to put on those silly shirts for as long as this warlock exists in the terrestrial dimension."

His lawyer Marty Singer labelled it as an "absurd and ridiculous" retaliation against Charlie for his frequent public criticisms of the show's co-creator Chuck Lorre.

null


"We feel this is nothing more that Lorre flexing his muscles. And we intend to act accordingly," he said, adding his client intended to file suit against Warner Bros Television, Chuck Lorre and "everyone involved".

Hours after his contract was terminated, the $2million-an-episode star was courting yet more headlines with a bizarre appearance on the roof of Live Nation HQ (pictured above).

Swigging from a bottle labelled 'Tiger Blood' – a term he has made popular on his record-breaking Twitter account – Charlie was joined by one of his live-in girlfriends, Natalie Kenly (pictured), on top of the events company's Beverly Hills building.

He then reportedly brandished something resembling a machete while shouting: "Free at last…free at last."

Share: