David Beckham has announced that he will leave his US football club LA Galaxy in December after six seasons. The 37-year-old footballer, who released a statement on Monday confirming the news, suggested he wasn't ready to hang up his football boots just yet.
In the announcement, he said: "I've had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy, however, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career.
"I don't see this as the end of my relationship with Major League Soccer (MLS), as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future. In my time here, I have seen the popularity of the game grow every year.
"I've been fortunate to win trophies, but more important to me has been the fantastic reception I've had from fans in LA and across the States. Soccer's potential has no limits in this wonderful country, and I want to always be part of growing it."
MLS Commissioner Don Garber added: "When David Beckham signed with the LA Galaxy in 2007, he set out to help grow MLS and the sport of soccer in North America. There is no doubt that MLS is far more popular and important here and abroad than it was when he arrived.
"David has achieved great things on and off the field during his time with the Galaxy, and he will always be an important part of our history. We look forward to his continued involvement with the LA Galaxy and the league."
Although it is unknown where David will play next, HELLO! revealed last month that the couple were "seriously considering" a move back to the UK and had even started looking for a new family home in London.
"They love their life in Los Angeles, but there are some serious discussions going on at the moment about a potential move," a source close to the Beckhams told HELLO!.
However, it has been rumoured that David could move Down Under as Australian club Melbourne Heart have confirmed they will try to lure him to the A-League club.
Chief executive Scott Munn said the club planned to offer the midfielder a ten week contract worth around £1 million but they faced competition from Perth Glory plus others from around the world.
Scott told Fox News: "We're putting forward an offer, it's compelling and the opportunity is here for him to come here. That is absolutely legitimate. Let's let David get through next week, play the final of the MLS and hopefully he'll have a win. Then I'm sure he'll assess every offer."