Geraldine Winner breaks her silence on 'terrifying' house raid

Geraldine Winner has spoken for the first time about the brutal attack that took place in her home on Friday evening. The 77-year-old told the Evening Standard how she desperately fought for her life when a woman broke into her £4million luxury apartment in Knightsbridge, using a kettle to try and fight off her attacker.

Geraldine suffered a broken finger, cracked rib and head injuries in the incident. "I am supposed to be in the safest place in London," Michael Winner's shocked widow told the newspaper. "I cannot believe this has happened.

Geraldine Winner has spoken for the first time about the 'terrifying' house raid

"The woman told me she was going to knife me, to kill me. In my head I was saying my goodbyes – I thought I was going to die."

Geraldine revealed that the two-hour raid began when the woman came in through the back door while she was putting the rubbish out. "I tried to fight her off which I now realise was not a good idea," she said.

"I grabbed her hair and realised she was wearing a wig which came off in my hand. I then grabbed a kettle and hit her but she overpowered me and hit me back with it.

"…I was on the floor and she put her foot on my back. She ordered me to tell her where the jewellery and money was… I was terrified.

"She put a blindfold on me and tied me up with plastic wire. She kept on shouting at me and demanding to know where my money was."

Among the items taken were treasured photographs of her late husband Michael, her engagement ring and £500 in cash.

Geraldine has said there was only one attacker – although the police have said they believe a man and a woman were involved. The luxury apartment block in guarded by a 24-hour concierge and CCTV surveillance.

"Obviously I am very angry about this and want the woman caught," Geraldine added. "How she managed to get in the building has to be explained. I want the police to do their job. There is loads of CCTV footage which should help."

Police suspect that Geraldine might have been specifically targeted – she was the biggest beneficiary of her late husband's legacy, receiving £20million of his £45million estate.

Geraldine is now back at home, after spending Friday night in hospital. She will receive further medical treatment, but said she is planning to travel to Paris soon for her son's birthday.

You're on HELLO!'s global site. Click to return to HELLO! India Go back