Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Paul Daniels laid to rest in private funeral service

Share this:

Paul Daniels' friends and family gathered to celebrate his life at a private funeral service on Friday afternoon. The legendary magician was laid to rest following a service at Milton Chapel at Chiltern's Crematorium, Buckinghamshire shortly after 12.15pm.

A handwritten note from Paul's wife Debbie McGee and a bunch of red roses were placed on top of his coffin, along with a silver wand – a nod to his career as a magician, which spanned five decades.

paul daniels1 © Photo: Getty Images

Paul Daniels' funeral took place on Friday 

Debbie had signed a photograph of herself with the message, "Love you always, Debbie xxx", and led the funeral procession into the chapel wearing a sombre black outfit and green scarf. She was joined by Paul's nephews and three sons Paul, Gary and Martin, along with other close family members.

Some of Paul's famous friends also gathered to pay their last respects, including Gloria Hunniford, Bonnie Langford and comedian Barry Cryer.

paul daniels © Photo: Getty Images

Paul's widow Debbie left a handwritten note on top of his coffin

Paul passed away on 17 March, just weeks after he was diagnosed with an incurable brain tumour. His widow Debbie has spoken out to say she was devastated following Paul's death, and described the 28-years of marriage they shared as a "fairytale life".

The 57-year-old told the BBC: "The way to describe Paul was that, yes he did television shows and people knew who he was and he did shows for royalty and we flew around the world. You know we had a fairytale life and we were so happy together.

"But Paul as a person was like in the village, in the queue for the post office, either doing tricks on them or making them all laugh. And he was as happy doing that as he was walking on stage at the Palladium or doing a TV show or doing a show for the Royal Family. He loved people. He was interested in everybody."

It was revealed that Paul had been diagnosed with an incurable brain tumour on 20 February, passing away just weeks later. His former assistant and wife said: "Our life has been full of laughter and that's what it's been the last few weeks. Up until the last 48 hours when he slipped into a sleep."