Bruce Forsyth issued a statement via his manager Ian Wilson to thank fans and hospital staff for their support after his latest health scare. The 89-year-old was rushed to hospital last Sunday after falling ill with a severe chest infection and during that time, was kept in intensive care for five days. The statement read: "Sir Bruce Forsyth is scheduled to return home from hospital later today and would like to thank everyone for their good wishes. He and his family would also like to say a special thank you to all the NHS doctors, nurses and staff at St Peters Hospital for their kindness and care."
Previous story: Sir Bruce Forsyth has been in intesive care for five days
Bruce has returned home from hospital after suffering from a severe chest infection
Bruce reportedly returned to his Surrey home in an ambulance on Friday. His wife, Lady Wilnelia, stayed by his bedside throughout his time in hospital, just days after his 89th birthday, where she had taken to Instagram to wish him health. The sweet collage post showing various sentiments with sayings such as ‘For my wonderful husband’, along with a picture of Big Ben with the words: “Happy 89th Birthday Sir Bruce Forsyth,” the 59-year-old wrote: “Happy Birthday my Darling Bruce, You may be a year older, but you are still the same man that I fell in love with years ago. Wishing you a ton of health…from all of us.”
GALLERY: Our favourite celebrity couples
The former Strictly Come Dancing host suffered a health scare back in 2015 after having surgery and hasn’t been seen in public since. He also suffered two aneurysms. Well wishers took to Twitter, including Sir Tom Jones, who wrote: “He has always been a clean-living person. I wish him well,” while Susanna Reid said: “You’re a legend, Sir Bruce, and everyone’s favourite. Get well soon.”
Previously, Wilnelia has opened up about her husband’s recovery on This Morning. Chatting to Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby she said: "He is wonderful. He is really wonderful. Especially the last couple of weeks, he's been really, really good and I wanted to take this opportunity to say to the people 'thank you'. "We've had so many wonderful letters and phone calls and good wishes for him and I do believe in all this energy and positive thinking… and he's doing really really well."
She continued: "I don't expect him to go tap dancing… but he loves the show business and I'm sure with a little bit of luck, he should be back." His manager confirmed that Bruce wouldn't be returning to Strictly Come Dancing back in 2014 due to health problems. In a statement, he said: "His sole focus at the moment is to continue getting better and he has made no formal or informal decision about retiring from showbusiness."