Michael Schumacher has reportedly received €50,000 in damages after it was falsely alleged that he was able to walk again, following his horrific skiing accident in December 2013. The claims were made by a German outlet last year, prompting the Schumacher family to file a law suit arguing for Michael's right to privacy. On Friday, a court in Hamburg ruled on the matter, and reportedly ordered the magazine to pay 65 per cent of the legal costs and extra charges of €950, the Mirror reports. Presiding Judge Simone Kafer clarified: "The board assumes that this statement is untrue."
Michael Schumacher has received €50,000 over false claims he could walk again
The publication had claimed that Michael was able to "walk a little with the help of his therapists". It further alleged that a friend had confirmed Michael "manages to make a couple of steps. And he can also raise an arm". But Michael's lawyer vehemently denied those claims last September. Felix Damm categorically told the court that the sportsman "cannot walk" and even with the help of therapists is unable to stand.
At the time the story was published, Michael's manager Sabine Kehm also spoke out to publicly refute the claims. "Such speculation is irresponsible, because given the seriousness of his injuries, his privacy is very important for Michael," she said. "Unfortunately they also give false hopes to many involved people."
The F1 star pictured with his wife Corinna
Michael was on a skiing holiday in Mirabel, France with his wife Corinna and their two children when he suffered serious head injuries after falling into rocks on 29 December, 2013. The seven-time world champion had to be placed in a medically-induced coma for six months following the accident, and has been receiving treatment at his home in Switzerland since September 2014.