This recipe makes approximately 8 shortbread biscuits, which can be made a couple of days in advance and stored in an airtight container
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
75g fresh hulled strawberries and raspberries, mixed and rinsed
2-3 tbsp Cointreau or Grand Marnier
4 tbsp double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
Sprigs of fresh mint to decorate
For the shortbread hearts
6oz plain flour
2oz caster sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
4oz unsalted butter, cubed and at room temperature
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5.
2. For the shortbread, sift the flour into a bowl, stir in the sugar and orange zest and rub in the butter until the mixture starts to form a dough. Gather together until smooth but don’t over-handle.
3. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/2in thick and cut into heart shapes with a cutter or cardboard template approx 4in wide.
4. Arrange the hearts on a lightly greased baking tray and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
5. Mix the soft fruits with the Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
6. Whip the cream with 1 tbsp icing sugar until just holding in peaks. Place 1 heart in the centre of each plate, top with cream and fruits, then perch a second heart on top. Dredge with icing sugar and decorate with mint to serve.