With the bank holiday just around the corner, HELLO! Online caught up with celebrity chef and Reggae Reggae Sauce proprietor Levi Roots to talk all things barbecues. The talented chef, who became a household name after breaking into song during his Dragon's Den pitch back in 2012, was even kind enough to share two of his favourite recipes for us to try out.
Levi Roots spoke to HELLO! Online about barbecue cooking
What are your top tips for summer barbecues?
Keep it simple. Don't over complicate the food. Less is more when it comes to getting your BBQ bang on. Make sure the BBQ and the flavours are hot and keep the Red Stripe chilled. When it comes to the meat, marinade is key. A good marinade will stand you in good stead and will ensure your dishes aren't dry and dull. For me music and food go hand in hand, get yourself a copy of my latest album, Levi Roots presents Reggae Reggae hits.
Do you have a favourite BBQ dish?
It's hard to chose just one. I love anything that's got a good kick to it. Sticky chicken wings are definitely up there. I love a good piece of grilled chicken on the BBQ as there are so many things you can do with it.
What is the best way to ensure meat is still tender and not overcooked?
Make sure the heat is nice and even on the BBQ - a coal BBQ is better for getting a good smokey flavour. A marinade also will help to tenderise the meat. My Coat 'n Cook instant Jerk and Smokey BBQ marinades are perfect for this as they can be chucked on moments before you start grilling your meat, then you can sit back, relax, crack open a Red Stripe and enjoy the sunny weather.
What would you recommend as BBQ alternatives for vegetarians?
There are loads of options, much as I love my meat I'm a big fan of vegetarian dishes at a BBQ too. My Reggae Reggae Rice and Caribbean Vegetables always prove popular at BBQs, as do my Sticky Vegetable Skewers which are super easy and quick to make.
What are your favourite side dishes for a BBQ?
The options are endless when it comes to sides. If you want a real taste of the Caribbean, my personal favourites are my Hot and fruity Caribbean Coleslaw - which goes fabuliciously with my Jerk chicken wings or my Caribbean Spiced Potato Skins.
Reggae Reggae Jerk Halloumi wrap
• ¼ white cabbage, cored and sliced finely
• ½ Red Onion - Sliced finely
• 1 large carrot, sliced finely or grated
• A Handful coriander, chopped, plus a few leaves to serve
• 200ml natural yogurt • 250g block halloumi, cut into 6 thick slices
• 1 Packet Levi Roots Jerk Coat 'n Cook
• 4 Tbsp. Reggae Reggae Sauce
• 2 Flatbreads/Rotis
• Salt and Pepper to Season
• In a large bowl mix the cabbage, onion, carrot and chopped coriander.
• In a small bowl mix 150ml of the yoghurt and 2 Tbsp. of Reggae Reggae Sauce and add to the large bowl and mix well.
• Slice the halloumi and coat in the Jerk Coat ‘n Cook and then cook on a pre-heated griddle or BBQ for 3-4 minutes on each side.
• Heat the wraps on the griddle or BBQ for 1 minute on each side.
• Divide the slaw between the 2 wraps, place the halloumi on top, drizzle with the remaining yoghurt and Reggae Reggae sauce (mixed together), garnish with the coriander leaves and serve.
Hot & Fruity Caribbean Coleslaw with Smokey BBQ Lamb Chops
• ¼ Savoy cabbage, finely sliced
• ¼ white cabbage, finely sliced
• ½ red onion, finely sliced
• ½ small mango, sliced into matchsticks
• 1 ½ tsp Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
• 50ml Cider vinegar
• 4 tbsp soft light brown sugar
• 50ml Olive oil
• Salt & Pepper
• ½ tbsp. Reggae Reggae sauce
• 1 red chilli, seeded and cut into fine slivers
• 4 Lamb chops
• 1 packet Levi Roots Coat’n’cook BBQ sauce
• Preheat griddle or prepare BBQ.
• In a large bowl toss the white and savoy cabbage, onion and mango, season with salt and pepper.
• Combine the cider vinegar, mustard, sugar and Reggae Reggae sauce in a small bowl and add to the large bowl and mix well.
• Coat the lamb chops in the Coat’n’Cook BBQ sauce and griddle/BBQ or grill for approximately 5 minutes on each side until the lamb is cooked.
• To serve pile the slaw onto a plate and place 2 lamb chops on each plate.
Levi Roots’ Smokey BBQ and Jerk Coat ‘n Cook Sauces are available at Sainsbury’s, ASDA and Tesco for just £1.00