Chicken tikka masala is one of the most popular Indian dishes, but it can be quite rich and calorific. Which is why this 'skinny chicken tikka masala' recipe is going to be your new favourite. Taken from MuscleFood's Make One Change recipe book, this guilt-free curry is a healthier take on the classic dish, with less than five grams of fat per portion and full of flavour. A much healthier take on your favourite takeaway meal, it's quick and easy to make too.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 x 200g MuscleFood Chicken breasts, diced
- 150g fat free natural yoghurt
- 1 x onion grated
- 4 x garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece of root ginger
- 1 red chilli (deseeded and finely chopped)
- 5 tbsp tikka curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x lime, juiced
- 6 tbsp tomato puree
- 5 tbsp natural fromage frais
- 250ml water
- 300g of brown rice
- Small handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander (for finishing touches)
- Low calorie cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to season
- Bring your rice, water and salt (1/4 tsp per cup of rice) to a boil. Cover and reduce to a slow, steady simmer for 30 minutes. Use a wide, shallow pot with a tight fitting lid to ensure your grains are cooked evenly.
- In a large dish, mix together your lime juice, yoghurt and 3 tbsp of tikka curry powder. Then add in your diced chicken breasts. Mix it all together and leave to marinate for four hours or overnight (if you have time).
- Spray a frying pan with your low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat, adding your onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cinnamon, cumin and 2 tbsp of tikka curry powder.
- Fry for around 2-3 minutes before stirring in your tomato puree and water. Bring to the boil and leave to simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Add your chicken to your frying pan and cook for 12-15 minutes while turning to ensure it’s cooked through.
- Once your chicken has cooked, add to your sauce along with your fromage frais and stir together. Then serve up.