Awards season drew to a close in style on Sunday, with Hollywood's biggest stars gracing the Academy Awards red carpet in designer dresses and immaculate hair and make-up. During the Oscars this weekend, one beauty trend stood out on the red carpet: metallic. Emma Stone, Jessica Alba and Chrissy Teigen were just a few of the celebs that went all in on shimmery gold make-up.
STORY: This is what you need to recreate Emma Stone's stunning Oscars make-up look
Celebrity make-up artist Adam Burrell – who works with Little Mix, Ciara and Michelle Williams among many others – has put together nine simple steps to recreate the perfect metallic Oscars look, and celebrity dentist Dr David Bloom has also shared his best tips to getting the award-winning white smile from the comfort of your home.
9 Red Carpet-Worthy Tips from Adam Burrell
- Skin prep isn't something to rush past for any red carpet look.
- A metallic wash of colour over the whole lid using a metallic cream eyeshadow is stunning but may be a little much for a newbie to bold eyes. Try a metallic winged liner as a subtle option, or even just a burst of metallic highlight to the tear ducts works great for this trend.
- If you're making your eyes the metallic focus, keep the rest of your face highlight and shimmer free. Go for a satin finish on the skin with a sheer blush and contour and a neutral lip.
- One of the best red carpet secrets is the importance of concealer, not only to get rid of any imperfections but to brighten the under eye and centre of the face. Use a shade one or two shades lighter and take it across your t zone to add dimension and give the appearance of a constant key light following you.
- Don't forget those pearly whites. We spend hours doing hair and make-up, but truth is that a bright white smile is your best accessory. The Colgate Max White toothbrush plus whitening pen is an easy way to create that perfect Hollywood smile at home or on the go.
STORY: Copy Jennifer Aniston's 'natural' Oscars look at home
- There's a difference between a glow and a highlight, and for a metallic led look, keep it on the glowy side. I'll often avoid powder on the cheeks for the red carpet and I'll use a cream blush as nothing beats a natural glow.
- Perfectly but naturally defined brows frames your face and gives your metallic makeup the perfect finish.
- The perfect red carpet lip requires a little bit of lip prep, no matter what lip colour you plan to wear. Use a scrub or a warm damp flannel to gently scrub and buff away any dry or flaking skin and to get the blood flowing. Follow with a lip balm, tissue off the excess and your lipstick will glide on and look and feel beautiful.
- This metallic trend works great on the body too. You can mix a little of your highlighter or metallic pigment with your body cream for the perfect body shimmer. It will slim and elongate your limbs too.
GALLERY: Stars get ready for the 2017 Oscars
5 easy steps to getting that perfect bright white smile from Dr David Bloom
- Avoid black tea, coffee and red wine if possible as they are likely to produce surface stain
- Do not use homemade whitening remedies such as lemons as they will not whiten your teeth and can be very damaging
- Choose a toothpaste with hydrogen peroxide, the whitening agent dental professionals use for teeth whitening. Other whitening toothpastes will just remove surface stain while hydrogen peroxide will actually make teeth whiter. Colgate Max White Expert White toothpaste is the only toothpaste on the market with this professional whitening ingredient (0.1%) Hydrogen Peroxide and starts to whiten teeth in just 5 days.
- Use Inter dental brushes as well as a toothbrush to ensure healthy gums
- Avoid fizzy drinks. Not only are they acidic and so likely to cause erosion, but Cola can also stain teeth over time.
Get the latest beauty tutorials and news here.