The Duchess of Cambridge looked stunning on the red carpet at the BAFTAs on Sunday, with a gorgeous chignon to complement her bespoke Alexander McQueen gown. The voluminous updo would make the perfect hairstyle for a wedding or special occasion, and is much easier to recreate at home than it looks. We caught up with Katie Allan, creative manager of Charles Worthington salons, to find out how to get the look.
STORY: Duchess Kate steals the show at 2017 BAFTAs
GET THE LOOK:
Katie Allan, creative manager of Charles Worthington salons, shows how to get Kate's look
1. Start by putting a wave in the hair to give a curl through the ends. This means the hair bends around and can be gripped into place a lot easier.
2. Section the hair from ear to ear, leaving the front section down, then use a soft brush to comb the rest into a ponytail that rests on the nape of the neck.
3. Spray a volumising or texturising powder through the ends of the ponytail then split it into two. Gently back brush the sections to create some padding.
BAFTAs 2017: All the best dresses from the red carpet
4. Swirl the hair to create a bun around the ponytail and secure into place with hairgrips.
5. Moving to the front of the hair, divide it into sections and gently back brush while holding it quite tightly at the tips. Brush until the hair is quite fluffy and stands up at the ends. Spray each section with a texturising spray or light hairspray, then smooth back across the crown.
Kate looked stunning at the 2017 BAFTAs in a bespoke Alexander McQueen gown
6. Gently brush over the surface of the hair, then starting with the back centre piece, gather the hair and secure at the top of the bun with a grip.
7. Then take the sections back and across the bun (so the left side of hair will go across to the right and vice versa), wrapping around and securing in place.
8. Apply hairspray as you go along to keep it all in place.
9. Style the hair at the front as you like – with shorter layers loose or tucked behind the ears.
10. Finish with hairspray. Spray onto your hands to smooth any flyovers on the top.
Want more beauty inspiration? Get the latest beauty news and inspiration here.