Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Fergie 'horrified' by Diana crash allegations


January 6, 2004
Share this:

Days after a British newspaper revealed that Princess Diana believed her ex-husband the Prince of Wales was plotting "an accident" to kill her, the Duchess of York, has spoken out on the stunning news.

Prince Andrew's flame-haired former wife Sarah made the comments on a US talk show after the Daily Mirror exposed the full text of a letter the princess had written outlining her fears. "I am absolutely horrified," said the Duchess. "I'm lost for words."

The controversial correspondence, written ten months before Diana's death, was made public last year by the Princess' former butler Paul Burrell as he released a tell-all book, A Royal Duty. However, at that time, the name of the person the Princess believed was behind the plot had been blacked out.

"I am not happy about it," said the former servant of the latest revelation, adding later: "It was always my intention never to publish that name. I never ever wanted it to be published."

Meanwhile, Charles's former press secretary Colleen Harris said the allegation was "preposterous". "Anyone that works for the Prince or knows him will think this is complete and utter rubbish," she told a BBC programme. "It is unbelievable."

Sign up to HELLO Daily! for the best royal, celebrity and lifestyle coverage

By entering your details, you are agreeing to HELLO! Magazine User Data Protection Policy. You can unsubscribe at any time. For more information, please click here.

Photo: © Alphapress.com
"I am absolutely horrified," said the Duchess, referring to the revelation that Princess Diana had named Charles in her letter
Photo: © Alphapress.com
A British newspaper revealed the full text of a letter published in part by former royal butler Paul Burrell in his 2003 book. "It was always my intention never to publish that name," said the ex-servant

More Royalty

See more