Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to make full-time UK return — 6 years after fleeing to US


King Charles has been made aware, and there will be no alterations to their status as non-working members of the royal family


Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attend the 75th NBA All-Star Game at Intuit Dome on February 15, 2026 in Inglewood, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)© Getty Images
Rebecca Lewis
Rebecca LewisLos Angeles correspondent
58 minutes ago

Six years after leaving the UK, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are moving back to Britain this September, with plans in place for their children, Prince Archie, seven, and five-year-old Princess Lilibet to attend school in the country.

HELLO! understands King Charles was first made aware of these plans on Sunday, August 16, 2026 and that although he is pleased he will have more opportunity to see his son and grandchildren, there will be no alterations to Harry or Meghan's roles, or status, within the royal family in accordance with previous decisions.

It is thought that Harry and Meghan will maintain their home in Montecito, California, but will establish "a private, non-royal home base in Britain" outside of London. They also have a vacation home in Portugal. 

They previously lived in Frogmore Cottage, the Windsor residence gifted to them by the late Queen Elizabeth. The King , 77, asked them to vacate the property for good in 2023.

Harry and Meghan summer holiday
Harry and Meghan had made a life in California

The decision comes a year after Harry told Joss Stone that he thought schools in the UK were "wonderful," and "how important community is for children." 

"It was nice to share that with him because it’s exactly why we felt drawn to come back – for the kids to grow up surrounded by family, friends, and a strong sense of belonging and most importantly in a safe environment," Joss shared with HELLO! at the 2025 WellChild Awards.

Archie will be entering Year 3, the first year of junior education in the UK, while Lililbet will be in Year 1, the second year of infant education.

Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan at San Basilio de Palenque in summer 2024© Archewell Foundation
Their status will not change in the royal family

The move also hints that Harry is happier regarding long-held security concerns that his family faces while in the UK. 

Harry and Meghan both lost taxpayer-funded police protection when they stepped down from the royal family, which became a years-long legal battle.  In 2025, the Prince lost a major legal appeal, with the Court of Appeal upholding the original decision.

At the end of June 2026, he was still awaiting a new review, part of the process by which the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) rules on Harry's security requirements. However, it appeared he and his team had worked out a plan that ensured their safety as the family of four returned to British soil in July.

prince charles visits archie 2019© Getty Images
Meghan with her son Archie in 2019

During that visit Harry and his family spent time with his father and his stepmother Queen Camilla at their Highgrove home in Gloucestershire. 

Following the meet-up, friends of the Prince said he was feeling "buoyed, very happy, and really energised", according to The Times.

It also marked the first time Harry's children had seen their grandfather in person since they visited in 2022 for the late Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee celebrations, an opportunity that will now increase with their decision to move.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend the David Foster Foundation 40th Anniversary Celebration on August 07, 2026 in Victoria, British Columbia© Getty
Prince Harry and Meghan will send their children to British schools

Harry also undertook public appearances in support of the 2027 Invictus Games which will take place in Birmingham.

As the family settle into their new life in the UK, Harry will remain busy as it is thought he will attend the 2026 WellChild Awards, a UK charity he has been a royal patron of since 2007, in the first few weeks of his return.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Queen Elizabeth II at the Queen's Young Leaders Awards Ceremony at Buckingham Palace on June 26, 2018 © John Stillwell - WPA Pool/Getty Images
Meghan and Harry with Queen Elizabeth in June 2018

The Duke and Duchess, who married at St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, in May 2018, left Britain in 2020 amid an increasingly and publicly strained relationship with Harry's family – particularly Harry’s brother, Prince William, 44.  

In January 2020, they announced they intended to step back as “senior” members of the royal family, splitting their time between the UK and the US, becoming financially independent while still supporting the Queen.

However, the proposed "half-in, half-out" model was rejected by the Queen and senior royals, ruling that working royals cannot mix official duties with private commercial ventures. 

By March 2020, they had set up a permanent home in Los Angeles, California, after a stint in Canada, and on March 31 2020 stepped down as senior royals and stopped using their HRH styles.

Tensions became worse when the pair made shocking claims during an interview with Oprah Winfrey, as well as the release of their Harry & Meghan Netflix docuseries and Harry’s memoir, Spare.

 

More Royalty
See more
Conversation

For more information on our conversation section, please read our Community Guidelines. Comments featured and views shared are not endorsed by HELLO!.