There has been no emergency at Buckingham Palace despite reports, which surfaced overnight, suggesting the Queen was calling a "highly unusual" emergency meeting with her entire household in London. Reports emerged in the early hours of Thursday claiming that everyone in the household was on ‘tenterhooks’ following the call to action from the Queen’s most senior aides, with speculation rife on Twitter that an announcement regarding the monarch or her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, was expected first thing.
But palace aides have told HELLO! that there is no emergency, and the meeting this morning is nothing out of the ordinary. "The Lord Chamberlain holds occasional staff briefings and there is one today at 10am," the aide said.
Palace aides told HELLO! there was 'no emergency'
Twitter hysteria and fake news reports have plagued the royal family in recent months. When the 91-year-old monarch fell ill over Christmas, social media rumours reporting the Queen’s death were rife and her husband, Prince Philip, has not been immune from such distressing and false reports either.
Thankfully, the Queen and her 95-year-old husband, who celebrated their 69th wedding anniversary back in November, continue to be in good health. The couple, who are now just one year away from reaching their platinum anniversary, originally met at the Royal Naval College in Dartmouth in 1939 when the Queen was just 13-years-old, and began exchanging letters before eventually becoming formally engaged in 1947, following the Queen's 21st birthday.
The Queen and Prince Philip on a royal outing last month
The royal pair married later in the same year. The monarch was crowned just five years after their wedding following the death of her father King George VI, who died aged only 56, and although the transition changed their lives forever the couple have always approached their royal duties with a sense of humour and affection for each other that, over the decades, is a testament to their enduring love.