Prince Harry has lost his High Court privacy battle against Associated Newspapers.
The ruling came just minutes after the Duke stepped out in London for the first of his engagements during his visit to the UK this week, starting with an Invictus event at Chatham House.
Harry looked shocked and his voice was not as steady as usual as he gave a six-minute speech moments after learning he had lost his case.
The Duke of Sussex, Sir Elton John and others’ claims over alleged unlawful information gathering by Daily Mail publisher Associated Newspapers were dismissed on Tuesday following an 11-week trial earlier this year.
Harry appeared shaken as he gave a speech moments after receiving the judgement
Judge Mr Justice Nicklin said that none of the group of seven had proven the allegations of unlawful information gathering.
He said in the 436-page ruling: "For the reasons given in this judgment, each of the claimants’ claims is dismissed." He said he accepted the evidence given by the Duke of Sussex at trial, with Harry in court in London in January, but concluded: " As with each of the claimants, Prince Harry has limited evidence to give on the contentious matters in dispute."
You may also like
Associated Newspapers said that the High Court ruling was an "overwhelming victory" and a "magnificent vindication of the Daily Mail’s journalism".
What happened in Prince Harry's trial against Associated Newspapers?
Dozens of people gave evidence during the trial in London, including Harry, the rest of the group of household names of Liz Hurley, Sadie Frost, and Sir Simon Hughes, as well as many current or former ANL journalists and executives.
During around two hours of cross-examination in January, Harry said he could not complain about some of the 14 articles in his case at the time "because of the institution I was in".
He also said in his written evidence that "knowingly false" information was added to stories to "put me off the scent", to conceal unlawful methods, including voicemail interception.
As part of its defence, ANL said that Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday journalists provide a "compelling account of a pattern of legitimate sourcing of articles", including friends and "leaky" social circles, press officers and spokespersons, as well as previous reporting, freelance journalists and stories from other newspapers and news agencies.
The trial also heard arguments over whether the cases were brought in time, as the law states that legal action related to unlawful information-gathering must be launched within six years of someone discovering they could have a claim.
Challenge against the Home Office over UK security arrangements
In 2024, a High Court judge dismissed Harry's claim against the Home Office over security arrangements for himself and his family when they are in the UK.
The Duke challenged a February 2020 decision of the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec), which falls under the remit of the department, after being told he would no longer be given the "same degree" of personal protective security when visiting.
Harry's lawyers said he was "singled out" and treated "less favourably" in the decision, arguing a failure to carry out a risk analysis and fully consider the impact of a "successful attack" on him meant the approach to his protection was “unlawful and unfair".
The Government argued Ravec was entitled to conclude the Duke's protection should be "bespoke" and considered on a "case-by-case" basis.
Retired High Court judge Sir Peter Lane ruled that Ravec's approach was not irrational nor procedurally unfair, claiming Harry's lawyers had taken "an inappropriate, formalist interpretation of the Ravec process".
Harry was given permission to challenge Sir Peter's ruling in June last year, but this after a two-day hearing in April 2025, his appeal was dismissed in May 2025.
Unlawful information-gathering allegations against Associated Newspapers
Harry was one of seven high-profile people, including Sir Elton John and Baroness Lawrence of Clarendon, who brought legal action against the publisher of the Daily Mail over allegations it carried out or commissioned unlawful information gathering.
The firmly denied allegations against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) include the hiring of private investigators to place listening devices inside cars, the "blagging" of private records, and the accessing and recording of private phone conversations.
At a preliminary hearing, the publisher asked a judge to rule in its favour without a trial – arguing the legal challenges against it were brought "far too late".
The Duke made a surprise appearance at the Royal Courts of Justice in London for the proceedings in March 2023, where his lawyers argued that those bringing legal action were "thrown off the scent" and not aware of being targeted, having believed "categorical denials" from ANL over any involvement in unlawful activity.
Judge Mr Justice Nicklin ruled in November 2023 that the publisher had failed to deliver a "knockout blow" to the early-stage legal challenges, allowing them to continue.
The case went to trial in 2026, and on July 7 the knockout blow was eventually delivered when Judge Nicklin ruled in favour of ANL on the grounds none of the group of seven had proven the allegations of unlawful information gathering.
Settlement with News Group Newspapers
Harry alleged he was targeted by journalists and private investigators working for News Group Newspapers (NGN), which publishes The Sun and published the now-defunct News Of The World.
Shortly before an up-to-10-week trial was due to begin earlier this year, the Duke and NGN reached an agreement including a "full and unequivocal apology" and "substantial" damages, announced on 22 January.
NGN apologised to Harry for intrusion between 1996 and 2011, including "incidents of unlawful activities" by private investigators working for The Sun.
The publisher also apologised to the Duke for phone hacking, surveillance and misuse of private information by journalists and private investigators at the News of the World, which closed in 2011.
"We acknowledge and apologise for the distress caused to the duke, and the damage inflicted on relationships, friendships and family, and have agreed to pay him substantial damages," the NGN statement said.
The publisher also apologised for the impact of the "serious intrusion" into the private life of Harry's late mother, Diana, Princess of Wales.
An NGN spokesperson previously said its apology to Harry covered "incidents of unlawful activities carried out by private investigators working for The Sun, not by journalists, during the period 1996-2011".
They added: "There are strong controls and processes in place at all our titles today to ensure this cannot happen now. There was no voicemail interception on The Sun."
Lord Tom Watson, former Labour deputy leader, who was also taking legal action against the publisher, settled his claim as well.
Reporting by PA.
Harry's return to the UK
The decision comes after Harry returned to the UK on Monday evening ahead of five days of appearances in London and Birmingham, including marking the one-year countdown to the 2027 Invictus Games.
In his speech at Chatham House, he discussed the veterans, saying: "What brings us together is far more important than what sets us apart. Every one of us believes that those who have served their country – and in particular those whose lives have been changed by that service – deserve more than our gratitude.
"They deserve opportunity. The chance to redefine one’s Purpose and Identity. They deserve to truly feel our admiration and Respect. And they deserve every chance to build the life they choose beyond military service."
The Duke will not stay at Buckingham Palace during his return, with his spokesman saying on Monday that it was "disappointing" the offer from the King had been "withdrawn at the last moment", with the looming judgment given as the reason.
WATCH: Prince Harry attends first engagement on UK visit
He is said to have acted in good faith throughout the process, spending most of last week making alternative arrangements before formally accepting the offer for himself – for a single night.
Private conversations are said to have taken place between the Duke and his father, King Charles.
As Prince Harry and Meghan Markle prepare to uproot their family, US journalist and media expert Christine Ross reflects on her own move to the UK with her children – and why life outside London might be the unexpected haven the Sussexes need
Conversation
For more information on our conversation section, please read our Community Guidelines. Comments featured and views shared are not endorsed by HELLO!.