Queen Elizabeth's golden rule that will affect Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's UK return


The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are set to return to the UK by the end of the month


Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex on the balcony of Buckingham Palace as the Royal family attend events to mark the Centenary of the RAF on July 10, 2018 in London, England. © Getty Images
35 minutes ago

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are uprooting their life in the States to return to the UK this month with their two children. It's been six years since the Sussexes called the UK home, and their upcoming return will be marked by one big difference. 

When the couple stepped back as working members of the royal family in 2020, the late Queen Elizabeth II ruled that they could use their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles but would have to give up their "Royal Highness" (HRH) styling. Harry and Meghan have continued to go by Duke and Duchess while living across the pond in California, but will not be able to go back to using their HRH titles when they're back in the UK at the end of the month. 

The couple will remain as private individuals and non-working royals, in keeping with the agreement made with the late Queen in 2020. HELLO! can confirm King Charles was first made aware of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's plans to return to British soil on Sunday. 

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Britain's Queen Elizabeth II © POOL/AFP via Getty Images
The Queen ruled that Harry and Meghan could not use their HRH titles

Queen Elizabeth's decision regarding Harry and Meghan's titles

In a statement shared on 18 January, 2020, Buckingham Palace outlined the late Queen's ruling: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives. As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties."

The statement continued: "With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wearing shirts and gazing into the distance© Getty
Harry and Meghan still go by their Duke and Duchess titles

"The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family." 

After a "half-in, half-out" model was rejected by the Queen and senior royals, Harry and Meghan moved to the US in March 2020. On 31 March, they stepped down as senior royals and stopped using their HRH styles.

Queen Elizabeth considered the Sussexes 'much loved' family members

Queen Elizabeth shared a personal statement following Harry and Meghan's decision to step back from their royal duties. 

Queen Elizabeth II, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex watch a flypast to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force© Getty
The Queen previously said "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family"

The late Queen said: "Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family," adding that "Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family."

She continued: "I recognise the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life. I want to thank them for all their dedicated work across this country, the Commonwealth and beyond, and am particularly proud of how Meghan has so quickly become one of the family."

"It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life," the late monarch concluded. 

Harry and Meghan are set to return to the UK by the end of the month and have already enrolled their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, in British schools ahead of term commencing in September.

More Royalty
See more
Conversation

For more information on our conversation section, please read our Community Guidelines. Comments featured and views shared are not endorsed by HELLO!.