A hike up Nicaragua's tallest active volcano, the opening of the new Louvre museum in Abu Dhabi, and a trip to one of the most remote islands in the world, St Helena located in the South Atlantic, have been named as some of the best new openings and exciting travel experiences of 2016 by Lonely Planet.
A trip to Hokkaido, Japan's northernmost island also made it into the list of 31 of the hottest experiences in travel for intrepid globe-trotters looking for their next great adventure this year, according to LP's second edition of New in Travel.
Looking for the most exciting travel experience of 2016? Climb Nicaragua's tallest active volcano
Adventurous travellers will be able to reach Hokkaido, known as a ski destination in winter, as well as for its hiking, hot springs and seafood offerings, thanks to a new high-speed bullet train route.
Attractions and destinations included on the list, which also includes the likes of walking on water at Italy's magical Lake Iseo and zip-lining in Cuba's Valle de Viñales, have either recently opened or are due to open this year.
The opening of a new airport makes travel to one of the most remote islands in the world in the South Atlantic possible
The experiences represent the latest, most cutting-edge of 2016 for ambitious travellers and thrill-seekers who like to "stay ahead of the curve".
Travelling across the world for a slice of adventure isn't necessary, however. Closer to home, there's the hotly-anticipated £260-million extension of the Tate Modern in London and surfing Snowdonia in the world's first inland surf lagoon in Wales. Stratford-upon-Avon will also be marking the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death.
See below for top 10 of the hottest experiences in travel for 2016, according to Lonely Planet
Walk on water at Italy's magical Lake Iseo
Top 10 of the hottest experiences in travel for 2016
1. Nicaragua: Climb Nicaragua's tallest active volcano – Centre for Extreme Tourism, Chinandega – October 2015
2. Japan: Zoom along northern Japan’s new bullet train route – Hokkaidō Shinkansen – Spring 2016
3. Rwanda: Spot newly introduced lions in the Akagera National Park – Early 2016
4. St Helena, British Territories: Be among the first to fly to St Helena – Mid-2016
5. United Arab Emirates: Be awed by the brand-new Louvre Abu Dhabi – 2016
6. Italy: Walk on water at The Floating Piers art installation on Lake Iseo – June 2016
7. Panama: Experience an even bigger Panama Canal with a $5 billion expansion – April 2016
8. Australia: Glow among desert flowers in Australia’s spiritual heart at the Field of Light installation in Uluru – April 1 2016 - March 31 2017
9. USA: Scamper around the world’s first Dr Seuss Museum in Springfield, Massachusetts – June 2016
10. Indonesia: Luxuriate on Gili Meno’s island retreat, BASK – 2016
New in Travel is free and available at lonelyplanet.com/new-in-travel-2016