Huw Edwards speaks out over 'misleading or fabricated claims' after Channel 5 drama starring Martin Clunes


The disgraced news presenter was the subject of Channel 5's recent two-part drama series about his downfall, starring Martin Clunes


Huw Edwards in Westminster on 14th January 2019. BBC NEWS reader. 10 O' Clock news presenter. Journalist. Author. Writer. Occupations. Journalism. Politics. Political Journalists. Welsh men. Russell Moore portfolio page.© Russell Moore / Alamy Stock Photo
Nicky Morris
Nicky MorrisActing TV and Film Editor
April 2, 2026
Share this:

Huw Edwards has said he will "challenge the misleading or fabricated claims" made about him following Channel 5's new drama series, Power: The Downfall Of Huw Edwards.

The disgraced news presenter, who pleaded guilty to making indecent images of children in July 2024, said he will "produce his own account". 

Huw Edwards leaves Westminster Magistrates' Court, London, where he was sentenced to six months' imprisonment. Actor Martin Clunes, best known for his role as the titular character in Doc Martin, will play Edwards in 5 drama Power: The Downfall Of Huw Edwards. Issue date: Tuesday March 17, 2026.© PA Images / Alamy Stock Photo
Huw Edwards intends to "challenge the misleading or fabricated claims" made about him

The new 5 drama, which stars Martin Clunes, explores "how a vulnerable 17-year-old was groomed by one of the most powerful figures in television," according to the synopsis. 

Reacting to the series, Huw told LBC: "Much has been written and reported in the past week following Channel 5's one-sided account.

WATCH: The trailer for Power: The Downfall of Huw Edwards

"Other opportunities will arise later this year for me to state my case, and to challenge the misleading or fabricated claims made in recent coverage," continued the Welsh broadcaster.

"A number of serious questions still remain to be answered, and not just by me. It will now take some time for me to produce my own account, and until then I do not intend to comment any further."

Huw's fall from grace

Huw was one of the BBC's highest-paid and most-trusted newsreaders, who led the coverage of major royal and political stories, including the announcement of Queen Elizabeth II's death in September 2022. 

news presenter in studio© BBC News & Current Affairs via G
Huw Edwards was one of BBC's highest-paid and most-trusted newsreaders

In 2024, the former BBC News at Ten host received a six-month prison sentence, suspended for two years. The previous year, a report published by The Sun alleged that a "top BBC star" had paid a teenager for sexual pictures.

Huw's wife Vicky later named him as the broadcaster involved in the scandal and he was charged in June 2024 following a Met Police investigation. 

Huw's reaction to 5's new drama

The 64-year-old presenter has said there was "no attempt" to check the truth of the narratives depicted in the series, relating to the allegations made by The Sun in 2023.

"[They] made no attempt to check with me the truth of any aspect of their narrative before going ahead with the production," Huw said of Wonderhood Studios, the production company behind the drama.

Martin Clunes in Power: The Downfall of Huw Edwards© Channel 5
Martin Clunes played Huw Edwards in Power: The Downfall of Huw Edwards

"They belatedly asked for a response after the drama had been made, while reserving the right to edit any such response," Huw told the Daily Mail, adding that they also refused to reveal whether those making allegations had been paid for their contributions.

"Channel 5's 'factual drama' is hardly likely to convey the reality of what happened," he said.

The presenter added that he felt "deep regret and remorse" for his crimes, describing his behaviour as "reckless, shameful, and damaging". 

Huw pleaded guilty to making indecent images of children in July 2024© Wiktor Szymanowicz/Future Publis
Huw pleaded guilty to making indecent images of children in July 2024

According to PA, it is understood that Huw intends to make his own documentary or podcast series about the events.

What has Channel 5 said so far? 

In a previous statement, Channel 5 said that the drama is "based on extensive interviews with the victim, his family, the journalists who revealed his story, text exchanges between the victim and Edwards, and court reporting."

The broadcaster added: "It has been produced in accordance with Ofcom's Broadcasting Code. All allegations made in the film were put to Huw Edwards via his solicitors six weeks before transmission."

More Celebrity News
See more