Sweeten up Mother's Day with this scrumptious pie recipe by actress and Celebrity Masterchef winner Lisa Faulkner. Discover all of the delicious recipes in HELLO! out now. "My make-up artist Justine, who has been making me up for most of my jobs for the past six years, has become a good friend, and her friend Philippa gave her this recipe. It's perfect for taking on family picnics or to parties when you are asked to bring a dish, as it's great served warm, cold or at room temperature and is a real winner with all the family."
Preparation time 20 minutes, plus chilling
Cooking time 40-50 minutes
• 1 x 500g pack all-butter shortcrust pastry, thawed if frozen
• 1 tbsp light olive oil or vegetable oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2-3 fresh thyme sprigs
• 125g/4 1/2oz streaky bacon, finely chopped
• 1 Granny Smith apple
• 400g/14oz sausage meat (or squeeze the filling from 6 sausages)
• 2 tsp Dijon mustard
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 egg, beaten
1. Grease a 20cm/8in loose-bottomed round sandwich tin.
2. Roll out the pastry slightly larger than the tin base and sides, then place it inside the tin and press into the corners and sides. Roll another disc to fit on the top and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the onion and thyme. Cook slowly over a low heat until soft then add the chopped bacon and cook through; I like to get a bit of colour on the bacon. Set aside and, when cool, remove the thyme sprigs.
4. Peel and grate the apple and add to the bacon and onions along with the sausage meat, mustard and seasoning. Stir to combine thoroughly then press the mixture into the pastry case.
5. Brush the beaten egg around the rim and then press down the pastry lid, sealing the edges by pressing around the rim with a fork. Put 2 little holes in the top and cut out any pastry shapes you want to decorate with. Chill in the fridge for at least 20-30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4.
7. Using the beaten egg, egg wash the top of the pie and pastry shapes, and then bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until golden. Serve hot or cold.
Get the latest food news and inspiration here.