Mary Berry shares with HELLO! her new royal recipe for beetroot and chocolate cake with feathered icing. Inspired by Prince Louis’s love of beetroot, Mary says: "I want to create a recipe with the young prince in mind."
Beetroot and Chocolate Cake with Feathered Icing
Serves 12 people
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE
- 3 large eggs
- 50g cocoa powder
- 150g self-raising flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 300ml sunflower oil
- 225g raw beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated (approximately 2 medium beetroot).
INGREDIENTS FOR THE ICING
- 200g Bournville chocolate, broken into pieces
- 200ml pouring double cream
- 50g (2oz) white chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/160CFan/Gas 4. You will need a 12 x 9 9nch traybake tin, greased and lined.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add the cocoa, flour, baking powder and sugar and stir a little. Gradually pour in the oil and beat with a wooden spoon and beat to combine to give a thick batter, once smooth stir in the grated beetroot.
- Spoon into the tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. Remove to cool before icing.
- To make the icing, break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl. Pour in the cream, sit on lightly simmering water and stir until melted and is smooth and glossy, be sure not to overheat. Leave to cool a little so that it is a thick pouring consistency (this won’t take long depending on room temperature). Pour the icing over the cold cake, spreading out with a palette knife to cover the cake completely.
- To decorate, melt the white chocolate in a small bowl over a pan of hot water. Place in a small piping bag, snip the end and pipe in lines down the cake, about 2cm apart. Using a cocktail stick, drag through the white chocolate in opposite directions across the cake to give a feathered effect. Cut in small squares and serve.
A Berry Royal Christmas airs on 16 December 2019 at 8.30pm on BBC One.