Jeremy Vine confirmed as first Strictly Come Dancing contestant

hellomagazine.com

Journalist and broadcaster Jeremy Vine has been named the first contestant to appear on 2015 Strictly Come Dancing. The announcement was made on The Chris Evans Breakfast Show on BBC 2 on Monday morning, where Jeremy himself confirmed the news live in the studio.

"How could I say no to the biggest show in TV? Yes, yes, yes and yes again to the sequins and the Samba," the 50-year-old said. "Now I just need to find some dancing shoes and identify my left foot. I am doing it for my two young daughters who jumped behind the sofa when I told them! It seems Dad on Strictly is more scary than Doctor Who!"

Jeremy Vine is the first 2015 Strictly Come Dancing contestant



A keen runner, Jeremy also said he is hoping to become more flexible ahead of the 13th series of Strictly, and said he aimed to be "doing to splits by September".

Jeremy is no stranger to the cameras – he presents BBC1's Points of View, the popular quiz show Eggheads and The Jeremy Vine Show on BBC Radio 2. If that wasn't enough, he previously fronted the world's oldest current affairs programme Panorama.

He was not among the favourites to appear in the upcoming series, which includes Jeremy Kyle, Adrian Chiles, Dermot O’Leary and TV golden couple Richard and Judy.

Broadcaster Jeremy later took to Twitter to celebrate the big news



Jeremy noted the secrecy surrounding Strictly, the BBC's most-watched entertainment show, telling Chris that he had signed up to the show three weeks ago and had been required to undergo a medical examination using the codename 'Nemo'. He then revealed that all of the 2015 celebrities have been issued with Disney names to keep their identities under wraps.

Strictly Come Dancing returns to BBC One for its 13 series in September.

More on: