Princess Madeleine's husband Chris O'Neill celebrates his 41st birthday on 27 June. The husband of one of Sweden's princesses is expected to mark the day privately surrounded by close family and friends. Chris will have extra reason to celebrate this year after his wife, Princess Madeleine, welcomed their second child Prince Nicolas earlier this month. To honour Chris' birthday, we've gathered 10 facts about the royal husband.
1. Chris was born in London on 27 June 1974 to parents Paul Cesario O’Neill and Eva Maria Walter.
2. The future royal husband spent most of his early life split between London and St Gallen, Swizterland. He also spent time in Austria and Germany.
3. He graduated with a BA degree in International Relations from Boston University, which was followed by an MBA from Columbia Business School in New York. Chris has spent most of his adult life working in finance and he is now a partner at Noster Capital.
4. In early 2011, rumours started that Princess Madeleine had found love again with the British-born banker and weeks later the couple made their first appearance together.
5. In October 2012, the Swedish princess confirmed she was engaged to Chris and in April 2013 the palace announced the wedding would take place three months later in June.
6. Ahead of the royal wedding, Chris decided to turn down a royal title to continue his career in finance.
7. In June 2013, royals from around the world gathered at Stockholm Palace, including Britain’s the Earl and Countess of Wessex to celebrate the nuptials of Chris and Princess Madeleine.
8. The couple had made no secret of their desire to start a family and in February 2014 they welcomed their daughter, Princess Leonore, who was followed by a son, Prince Nicolas, in June 2015, who was born just days after Madeleine’s brother Carl Philip’s wedding.
9. Despite no royal title, his father-in-law, King Carl Gustaf has honoured Chris with medals the Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star and the Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of His Majesty The King.
10. Following Prince Nicolas’ birth, Chris and Madeleine intend to move to London in the autumn.