Prince William was 'with King Charles' when Prince Harry's move news broke - report


On Wednesday night, the world discovered Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have plans to relocate back to the UK imminently


charles and william in suits© UK Press via Getty Images
Rachel Avery
Rachel AveryHomes Editor
1 hour ago

Prince William, 44, is reportedly "not delighted" that his brother, Prince Harry, has made a U-turn decision to move back to the UK. Fresh reports are suggesting that the Prince of Wales was with his father, King Charles, in Scotland at the time the news broke at 10pm on Wednesday night.

The Times has claimed that Prince William was with the King when the news officially broke, but it seems likely that William would have been privately informed of his brother's plans by his father when he found out about it all on Sunday. 

Prince William, King Charles III and Queen Camilla in ceremonial robes at the Thistle Service at St Giles' Cathedral© Getty Images
The father and son were both in Scotland at the time

HELLO!'s Royal Editor Emily Nash says that Prince William and Kate are likely "not delighted" about the news of Harry's imminent return. She told HELLO!'s A Right Royal Podcast: "I can't see a world in which they would be welcoming them back with open arms. But you would anticipate that the King will have spoken to William about this if he was made aware. 

"We believe the Waleses were made aware beforehand. They didn't find out at the same time as the rest of the world. So they've had time to process this." 

The royal family are currently in Balmoral for their summer holidays, which is a retreat that may have taken quite a turn given the flurry of news surrounding the family. 

The Sussex summit at Balmoral 

The King's piper plays at Balmoral in a scene from surprise birthday tribute to Sir David Attenborough
The family are gathered at Balmoral

What's now being dubbed the "Sussex summit" sees many royals gathered at Balmoral Castle, where they will no doubt be digesting the shock Sussex news. While Prince William, Princess Kate and their three children travelled to Balmoral earlier this week, other royals have now descended on the iconic residence.

On Friday morning, Princess Anne, Zara and Mike Tindall, Prince Edward and James, Earl of Wessex, were pictured driving into the estate. Peter Phillips and his new wife Harriet Sperling were also spotted earlier in the week, the Daily Mail reports. 

It was only a matter of weeks before this that King Charles and Prince Harry were face-to-face at Highgrove, but it seems as though the relocation plans were not revealed then, instead waiting until Sunday to drop the bombshell. 

Why have Prince Harry and Meghan Markle made a U-turn?

Prince Harry and Meghan are returning to Britain in just days time© Getty Images
The Sussexes are making a comeback

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's reasoning for their change of heart has not been made clear, but working theories centre around possible acting work for Meghan in the UK, improved schooling for the children in Britain and a reconciliation with estranged family members. 

When the Sussexes were on UK soil this summer, they made a visit to Althorp, Princess Diana's former home, where they were pictured with huge bouquets, presumably as tributes for the late royal. No doubt they will be keen to reunite with Harry's uncle, Earl Charles Spencer, with whom they have a close relationship.

Another person who will be keen to welcome them with open arms will be Princess Eugenie, who has stayed in close contact with the family. Eugenie is currently in Portugal, following the birth of her third child.

 

More Royalty
See more
Conversation

For more information on our conversation section, please read our Community Guidelines. Comments featured and views shared are not endorsed by HELLO!.