Prince Harry faces steep interim court bill of £9.5m one month after legal defeat


The Duke of Sussex, 41, and the other high-profile claimants have been given an initial bill to pay Associated Newspapers following their legal defeat last month


Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, speaks at a roundtable about support for veterans on Wednesday© Alamy Stock Photo
Eleanor Dye
Eleanor DyeOnline Royal Correspondent
Updated: 41 minutes ago

Prince Harry will have to pay a share of a steep court bill within a week, a High Court judge ruled on Friday. 

The Duke of Sussex, 41, against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the Daily Mail, in July, while he was visiting the UK in July. 

Together with a group of claimants, who include Sir Elton John, Elizabeth Hurley and Baroness Doreen Lawrence, Harry will need to cover the paper's legal costs, which include an initial £9,544,355 to be paid by 28 August.  

However, the court is yet to decide how much of Associated's costs the claimants must ultimately pay, and there will be further hearings to determine the total sum. The group also includes David Furnish, Sadie Frost, Liz Hurley and Sir Simon Hughes. 

smiling prince harry in suit and tie © Alamy Stock Photo
Prince Harry's interim court costs have been revealed

Mr Justice Nicklin said: "The claimants and their advisers have been on notice, since the hearing, that this would be the date for payment on account." He added he was "quite satisfied" that an order for indemnity costs, which are more favourable to the publisher, "should be made in this case". 

Associated previously stated its costs defending the proceedings were £34.5 million, which the court described as "exceptionally high". 

However, the court declined to impose a cap on the amount that they could recover following "careful consideration". 

Harry was to find out how much he would be paying. 

Prince Harry's court case explained

The Duke of Sussex was part of a group of high-profile claimants who claimed alleged unlawful information gathering by Daily Mail publisher Associated Newspapers. 

The following an 11-week trial, with judge Mr Justice Nicklin concluding in his 436-page ruling that none of the group of seven had proven the allegations of unlawful information gathering. 

Prince Harry looking downbeat as he walks with an umbrella held over him© Getty Images
Prince Harry was in London in January for the trial

The judge said that he accepted the evidence given by Prince Harry at the trial in January, but concluded: "As with each of the claimants, Prince Harry has limited evidence to give on the contentious matters in dispute."

A spokesperson for the publisher said the decision was “another overwhelming victory for the Mail and its journalism”.

ANL, which also publishes the Mail On Sunday, had asked for more than £9.9 million as an interim payment, while lawyers for the claimants said the interim payment should be just over £7.9 million.

Prince Harry's move back to the UK with Meghan

The judgment comes after it was made public on Wednesday that Harry and his wife the Duchess of Sussex are moving back to the UK.

Harry and Meghan made their last-ever royal appearance at the Commonwealth Games service at Westminster Abbey© Justin Goff Photos/Getty Images
Harry and Meghan made their last-ever royal appearance at the Commonwealth Games service at Westminster Abbey

The couple decamped to California more than six years ago amid the Megxit crisis, but will relocate back to the UK later this month to live in a non-royal residence outside London.

Their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, have been enrolled in British schools. 

Meanwhile, other members of the royal family, including the King and Queen and Prince and Princess of Wales, have arrived in Balmoral to begin their summer stay in Scotland. 

More Royalty
See more
Conversation

For more information on our conversation section, please read our Community Guidelines. Comments featured and views shared are not endorsed by HELLO!.