Planning a wedding is notoriously stressful and can affect brides' health and diet. For women who want to improve their eating habits or make sure they're getting their five a day, follow these top five healthy living tips from nutritionist Judy Watson at Champneys, the spas that promote health and fitness breaks.
- Start the day... by drinking warm water with lemon juice to aid digestion and reduce bloating throughout the day. Have a glass of water one hour before you go to bed to support liver detoxification which is proactive between 11 am and 3 pm.
- Change your snacks... add four Brazil nuts to your fruit snack during the day to fine-tune your blood sugar levels. This will give you a great burst of energy.
- Make food substitutes... swap bread at lunchtime for oat cakes to reduce post-lunch tiredness. Instead of reaching for that glass of wine in the evening, drink pure pomegranate juice to keep you hydrated. This will also support your cardiovascular health.
- What to have for dinner... consume a complex carbohydrate at your evening meal such as quinoa, millet, sweet potato or wholegrain rice. These foods are converted to glycogen which fuels the muscles for a more productive training session the following day, if you're working out. Add a great source of protein to your dinner with foods such as salmon and chicken to enhance muscle repair and fatigue.
- What to eat when you work out... consume a banana before exercising to increase your training capacity. The starch in the banana releases cortisol which will enhance your training levels. After your workout, take in a protein source such as a handful of nuts.