A perfect summer dessert, add blackberries to this recipe for caramel blondies and it is a recipe for success! For more delicious dishes, pick up your copy of HELLO!, out now.
Makes 12 pieces
Preparation time 30-35 minutes
Cooking time 20-25 minutes, plus cooling
RELATED: See more recipes here
For the blackberry caramel
• 100g/4oz Driscoll’s Sweet Blackberries
• A large pinch of sea salt
• 100g/4oz light muscovado sugar
• 30g/1 1/4oz butter
• 100g/4oz crème fraîche
For the blondie mix
• 100g/4oz unsalted butter, melted
• 200g/7oz light muscovado sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1t sp vanilla extract
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 125g/4 1/2oz all-purpose organic flour
• 60g/2 1/2oz flaked almonds
• 100g/4oz blackberries, for garnishing
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4 and line a high sided 18cm x 25cm/7 x 10in metal baking tin with greaseproof paper.
2. To make the blackberry caramel, put the blackberries in a non-stick, non-reactive saucepan and heat over a medium to high heat with 2 tbsp of water and a pinch of salt. Cook for a few minutes, until the blackberries change colour and start to release their liquid and become squishy. Remove to a bowl and squash with the back of a fork.
3. Wipe out the pan, add the sugar and melt it slowly. Add the butter and crème fraîche and cook for 3-5 minutes until you have a smooth caramel sauce. Add in the blackberries and their juice and cook, stirring into the caramel. You should have a lovely, slightly purple fruity caramel. Season with salt to balance and bring out the flavours.
4. To make the blondies, in a medium bowl, stir together the melted butter and muscovado sugar until smooth. Crack in the egg, add the vanilla and salt and stir vigorously until smooth. Add the flour and half the almonds and stir until no streaks remain. Spread half the batter across the prepared baking tin, top with the blackberry caramel, spreading it out as evenly as you can. Top with the rest of the batter and spread out over the caramel, using a toothpick to marble. Press in the remaining blackberries and scatter over the remaining flaked almonds. Transfer to the preheated oven and Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out relatively clean. Leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool Transfer quickly and efficiently onto a wire rack to cool, then cut into squares.
See the latest food news and features here.