Fish and chips is one of the nation's most popular dishes, with some 382 million meals served each year at 10,500 fish and chip shops across the UK. But these ten restaurants have made the cut to be shortlisted as the nation's finest, as part of the National Fish & Chip Awards 2018.
Regarded as the Oscars of the industry, the shortlist is based on rankings made by specialist inspectors, who name a top chip shop in each of ten geographical categories. Shops were judged on their frying skills, menu development and innovation, marketing, and staff training, along with the quality of their fish and chips, and the winner is set to be announced in January 2018.
Britain's top ten fish and chip shops have been named
Marcus Coleman, the chief executive of Seafish Industry Authority said: "The Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award is one of the highest honours a fish and chip business can receive, and it is renowned for its competitive nature rewarding only the best of the best in the industry.
"Having watched our ten finalists progress through the competition, I can safely say that their skill and dedication is outstanding - they are a true representation of the crème de la crème of our industry and sum up perfectly why British fish and chips are, and will always be, the best in the world."
The winner will be announced in January 2018
The finalists win an all-expenses paid try to the Norwegian port city of Alesund, to learn about how fish travels to the UK, including the fishing process from catching to filleting.
The top ten fish and chip shops are below:
- Cromars Classic Fish & Chips, St Andrews, Fife (Scotland)
- The Dolphin Takeaway, Dungannon, County Tyrone (Northern Ireland)
- Millers Fish & Chips, Haxby, York (North Yorkshire)
- Fylde Fish Bar, Marshside, Southport (Merseyside)
- The Golden Carp Chippy, Redditch (Worcestershire)
- Burton Road Chippy, Lincoln (Lincolnshire)
- Henley's of Wivenhose, Wivenhoe, Colchester (Essex)
- Captain's Fish and Chips, Hoddesdon (Herfordshire)
- Harbourside Fish & Chips, Plymouth (Devon)
- Penaluna's Famous Fish & Chips, Hirwaun, Rhonda Cynon Taff (Wales)
See the latest food news and recipes here.