The sunshine is finally here and so it's time to really take all the necessary steps to protect your skin, hair and, also importantly, the eyes from UV sun damage. HELLO! has spoken to leading experts in eye health, Vision Express, to share the top five tips to help you take good care of your eyes in the lead up to and during summer. From having regular eye examinations to using polarized shades... read through this top tips and stay protected!
1. Start young - up to 80% of a person's lifetime exposure to UV will occur before the age of 18, according to a study by the World Health Organisation, and with UVA Sun rays causing premature aging and age related illnesses it is important to protect your eyes from an early age. Young people's eyes are more sensitive to UV absorption and under-12s are particularly susceptible because the clear lenses in their eyes are not yet properly formed.
2. Have regular eye examinations – the best way to protect your eyes is by having regular check-ups. These will highlight any sight problems or damage, such as cataracts, macular degeneration or skin cancer, and can determine other health issues such as high cholesterol and even diabetes.
3. Make a statement - not only can sunglasses enhance your outfit and make you look fantastic, they also have a serious message behind them associated with good eye health. Why not try a new style this summer? Dark tones are the leading trend for 2017 with a huge salute to tortoiseshell, a subtle twist on classic dark frames. Tonal colours look good on most people and tortoiseshell textures reflect the light and can be a great alternative to block colours.
4. Consider polarized shades – these lenses offer the best protection, blocking indirect glare and reducing the need to squint, which can cause muscle fatigue, headaches and eye strain. No longer just a masculine, sporty trend, this summer you will see colourful lenses juxtaposed with classic frames for a more feminine look.
5. Drive safely – making sure you have a pair of sunglasses on hand while driving is essential, with recent research showing that 89% of people are sensitive to bright light and glare conditions increase accidents when driving.
So you are never caught without protection, Vision Express is offering any second pair of sunglasses at half price. The new Exclusive Brands sunglasses collection promises to help Britons take both their vision and their style seriously with a high quality, value for money alternative to designer glasses, with frame prices starting at just £29.