Hosting a dinner party? Serve up some delicious canapés with this recipe from Rosie Birkett. The chef has teamed up with the Soil Association to develop a serious of recipes using certified organic ingredients from across the UK. These Spiced Sweet Potato Cakes use Bath soft cheese and Organic Oak Smoked Isle of Wight tomatoes from The Tomato Stall, and are surprisingly easy to make.
Makes 20 canapés
MORE: See the latest recipes here
- 500g sweet potato
- 200g potato
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 small bunch chives
- Some parsley
- 1 bunch spring onions
- A knob of butter
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- 1 packet of Bath Soft Cheese
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 1 pot of The Tomato Stall’s Organic Oak Smoked Isle of Wight Tomatoes
- Peel and chop both types of potato and boil them separately until soft. Mash and add the butter and flour, finely chopped chives, parsley, onions and spices. Leave to cool and then shape into small patties.
- Get some oil hot in a non-stick frying pan and fry the potato cakes until golden brown. You can do this stage in advance and finish them off in the oven before serving.
- In a blender, mix the Bath Soft Cheese with a dash of cream until smooth. Put into a small piping bag.
- When you're ready to serve, reheat the potato cakes, pipe on a small blob of cheese and top with an Organic Oak Smoked Isle of Wight Tomato and a sprig of parsley or Greek basil.
See the latest food features here.