James Martin is your man when it comes to finding the perfect pick-me-up to cure any sore heads on Boxing Day. The celebrity chef's French Toast Sandwich may be just as indulgent as your Christmas Day meal, but it's the right amount of grease and carbs to get you through the post-festivities slump.
"Cheese, bacon, eggs, milk, butter – it's like a fry up, but in a sandwich! You could do it with anything. It's certainly a winner," James told HELLO!
READ: Martine McCutcheon's secret to feeling better than ever - and the other Christmas film she was almost cast in
"It's a variant of your classic French toast, it takes it to a different level. When you pan-fry it in butter, it's delicious. The simplicity of it is the key, and good quality butter. Proper hangover food!"
Check out James's Boxing Day sandwich which he's contributed especially to Martine McCutcheon's Christmas Digital Issue.
12 slices of pancetta
100ml full-fat milk
6 slices of brioche
4 slices of gruyère
50ml maple syrup
1. Pan-fry the pancetta over a high heat until crisp, then set aside. Pass the residual fat through a sieve into a clean pan.
2. Beat together the eggs and milk and add to a shallow bowl.
3. Top a slice brioche with a slice of cheese and 3 slices of pancetta. Repeat with another slice of brioche and layer of cheese and pancetta, finally topping with another slice of brioche.
RECIPES: James Martin's Christmas Eve dinner recipes you have to try
4. Squash the sandwich together, then dip in the egg mix. Repeat to make another sandwich.
5. In a frying pan over a medium heat, add the pancetta fat and the butter and let it gently foam. Fry the sandwiches on both sides until golden and the cheese has melted.
6. To serve, cut in half and drizzle with maple syrup.
Butter by James Martin, £14.69, Amazon
BUTTER: Comforting, delicious, versatile, over 130 recipes celebrating butter by James Martin (Quadrille)
Photography: John Carey
Like this story? Sign up to our newsletter to get other stories like this delivered straight to your inbox.
HELLO!'s selection is editorial and independently chosen – we only feature items our editors love and approve of. HELLO! may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. To find out more visit our FAQ page.