Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Dick and Angel Strawbridge finally address fall out from Channel 4 and Escape to Chateau ending

The Channel 4 programme ended in 2022

Dick and Angel Strawbridge
Francesca Shillcock
Francesca ShillcockSenior Features Writer
Share this:

Dick and Angel Strawbridge have spoken out about their show Escape to the Chateau ending and their reported fallout with broadcaster Channel 4.

The TV stars were appearing on Wednesday morning's edition of Lorraine when they were asked by host Christine Lampard how they were feeling amid the headlines referencing an alleged rift and the programme coming to an end, which prompted them to set the record straight on what happened, clarifying that it was always the plan to finish the series.

WATCH: Dick and Angel Strawbridge address Escape to the Chateau ending and Channel 4 fallout

Dick began: "It's interesting because we were on Lorraine at Christmas last year talking about the show coming to an end. We made a decision that last year was going to be the finale and we told everybody. So, when the stories came out and everybody started talking about the show ending, it wasn't news, it was something that had happened a long time ago in the past."

Discussing the news coverage further, Dick added: "And we made the decision just not to get involved in any of the conversations." Angel interjected: "Our Queen said, never complain and never explain. And that was the best way because we had already made that decision as a family to bring the show to an end."

MORE: Dick and Angel Strawbridge delight fans with unseen chateau photos ahead of leaving home 

MORE: Angel Strawbridge divides family as she considers major change 

Dick and Angel Strawbridge © Channel 4
Dick and Angel Strawbridge have ended their Channel 4 show

Dick continued: "We know that Arthur and Dorothy would get to an age… they were so little and didn't really know what was going on. We're living in such a different world now and for us as a family, we finally caught up with the weddings from COVID."

Dick and Angel were the subject of headlines after it was reported that Channel 4 had cut ties with the couple. In May 2022, Deadline stated that the decision was made following an independent investigation into the couple's conduct on the show. It was reported that concerns were initially raised by Two Rivers Media – the production company behind the Escape to the Chateau franchise.

Dick and Angel Strawbridge at chateau© @ escape_to_the_chateau
Dick and Angel Strawbridge at the chateau

It continued to say that the couple had been clashing with producers, with an independent HR professional conducting an investigation which included interviewing producers and crew members.

In an official statement, a Channel 4 spokesperson said: "Following a review, we have taken the decision not to work with Dick and Angel on any new productions in the future." Two Rivers released their own statement that read: "We can confirm that we will no longer work with Dick and Angel and cannot comment further at the moment."

View post on Instagram
 

Meanwhile, the husband and wife, who married in 2015 after emigrating to France to live in their ever-changing Chateau, have been keeping busy with the release of their new book and announcing a new podcast.

Strawbridge family in the Walled Garden after planting a cherry tree.© Channel 4
Dick and Angel share Dorothy and Arthur together

In their latest newsletter, the couple revealed that they are launching a podcast with Global Player, titled "Dick & Angel's CHAT...EAU", which will record the parents of two as they talk about children, Arthur and Dorothy, as well as their history together.

More TV and Film

See more