David Beckham snubs offer of farewell England match

Friday August 13, 2010

Footballer David Beckham will refuse any offer to play in a farewell friendly match after learning that Fabio Capello had ended his England career in a TV interview.

Former captain David, 35, is said to be feeling "disrespected, disappointed and dismayed" by remarks made by Fabio in a segment that aired before England's game on Wednesday.

But an LA-based friend of Becks told the Sun that the incident has "fired him up to get back to fitness and battle his way back into the squad."

The newspaper also reports that while Fabio didn't contact David himself, his right-hand man Franco Baldini did call on Monday night - the day the interview was filmed - to explain that some comments had been made.

He said the manager had spoken about looking to the future of the team by bringing in some younger players.

Before watching the footage with wife Victoria in Los Angeles on Wednesday, the dad-of-three seemed unaware of his fate, telling reporters: "I've always said I won't retire from playing for my country.

"Whether I play one more game or ten more games, I'll be available."

David, who has been capped 115 times in 14 years, is said to have been "horrified" by the interview, while Victoria was "disgusted".

Photo: ę Getty Images

  • <
  • David Beckham snubs offer of farewell England match

  • >
  • 12 of 13

´╗┐
´╗┐

Most Read Stories

Follow us on

´╗┐

Featured content

Red Carpet

All the latest news and pictures from the red carpet

Jennifer Lawrence

The latest news and pictures of the hot young Hollywood actress and star of Silver Linings Playbook

´╗┐
´╗┐

Suggestions