Halloween is nearly here, so cook up a spook-tacularly tasty treat with this Dr. Oetker Shaky Bones Cake recipe, baked by Juliet Sear. Decorated with meringue bones and dripping raspberry-flavoured blood, this cake is guaranteed to impress.
Ingredients for cake:
- 340g self raising flour
- 290g softened butter
- 270g golden caster sugar
- 350ml buttermilk
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tsp Dr. Oetker Extra Strong Food Gel Colour Red
- 3 tbsp Dr. Oetker Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Natural Extract
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1.5 tsp white vinegar
- 2 greased and lined 8" round cake tins
- 1kg pre-prepared cream cheese frosting (Buttercream with 2/3 tbsp cream cheese – add more to taste)
RELATED: See more recipes here
Ingredients for meringue bones
- 175g white caster sugar
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1 tsp Madagascan Vanilla Natural Extract
- Pinch of salt Frosting Ingredients
- 250g Soft unsalted butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp room temp cream cheese
Ingredients for blood
- 3 tbsp seedless strawberry/raspberry jam to a ¼ tsp Dr. Oetker Red Food Gel Colour Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan)
- Grease and line two 8" round cake tins on the base and sides
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Beat eggs in gently one at a time, thoroughly adding each one into mixture
- In a small bowl, mix the Cocoa Powder, Vanilla Extract and red Food Gel Colour into a paste. Add to the cake batter and beat well
- Add salt to the buttermilk and stir. Add to the cake batter in three parts, alternating with the flour. With each addition, beat until ingredients are incorporated but don’t overbeat
- In a small bowl mix the vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and add to the batter. Mix until smooth
- Divide equally between the two tins and level out the mix
- Put in oven and bake for 20 mins.
- Leave to cool and layer with crumb coat and frosting. Chill for half an hour before decorating
MORE: See the latest food features here
Recipe for meringue bones
- Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt in a clean bowl with an electric hand whisk or in a stand mixer until stiff peak consistency is reached
- Add 1/3 of the sugar and whisk in for 30 sec. Add the other two additions whisking well between each. You will have a lovely stiff glossy meringue mixture.
- Place mixture in a piping bag and pipe random sized bone shape meringues over two large baking trays, leaving a little gap in between each
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 120C (fan). Ensure they are dried out completely
- To decorate the cake, use a little cream cheese frosting to fix the bone around the top and on the sides of the cake
- Slice and serve with a drizzle of red jam made with a touch of water and a tiny squeeze of red Food Gel Colour to replicate gooey blood
- Add the 250g of soft unsalted butter and 500g icing sugar into a large bowl or stand mixer.
- Use an electric whisk or stand mixer to mix together until light and fluffy.
- Add 3 tbsp of room temperature cream cheese and gently mix.