Plotters threatened to blame John Travolta for son's death

Plotters threatened to blame John Travolta for son's death

Broken-hearted Hollywood star John Travolta told a court on Wednesday how a paramedic threatened to claim the actor was responsible for his son's death unless he handed over £15 million.

The 55-year-old star, pictured arriving at court with wife Kelly Preston, stated that Tarantino Lightbourne said he would sell stories to the press if he didn't get the money.

"They were stories that would imply that the death of my son was intentional," said John, who last week relived the fruitless struggle to save his son's life on the stand. 

Mr Lightbourne – who along with fellow defendant Pleasant Bridgewater denies the charge of extortion – was one of the paramedics who responded when John's son Jett took ill in January.

The 16-year-old died at the family home in the Bahamas following a seizure.

John signed a consent form – known as a refusal of medical attention form – for his son to be taken to an airport to transport him to the US, rather than the local hospital.

The grief-stricken Grease star told the court an employee of his was warned that unless funds were paid: "certain stories connected to that document would be sold to the press".

Photo: © PA

Thursday October 1, 2009

Previous News In Pictures:

MORE NEWS IN PICTURES


Follow us on



News in pictures



Suggestions